Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 8408

Posted on:3/18/14 1:33 PM

Butterick: 8408 by rosiewednesday  Butterick: 8408 by rosiewednesday
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 2 people
KamiSue2 said... (3/21/14 11:06 PM) Reply
I ADORE your dress! So cute! I would wear that everyday. Okay, maybe not. But I would want to. I'm impressed at all the adjustments you made, it turned out fabulous.
rosiewednesday said... (3/20/14 11:49 AM) Reply
Sewingcanary - Thanks for the tips! I've seen loads of side zips before, but never one in a dart, which seemed odd to me. I didn't know that was a common way to do things. I didn't realize that about the linen either! Now that you say that, I realize I have some dresses that I have practically worn to death that are linen,and I don't iron them anymore. That's so neat.
sewingcanary said... (3/19/14 3:25 PM) Reply
PS re pattern grading. I misfiled the url, but poke around on the web. There are some good charts that give all the dimension differences of complete dresses and slacks – in more detail than Threads’ article. They show the locations of all the splits and all the various little increments. You can also find them in some of the old sewing books from the 60s and earlier. Once you have the difference increments, the only rocket science is in deciding how much ease you want based on era and personal comfort levels etc..
sewingcanary said... (3/19/14 3:10 PM) Reply
Hi Rosie! What a “rosie” dress! Side zips were the way they used to make dresses. It’s easier to do up a side zip than a back zip especially if a dress is fitted. All my mother’s 1950s dresses had side zips. I think back zips were a 60’s thing. Even with the salt tip, be careful with the red. Sometimes they set and sometimes they bleed later and long, or with change in detergent brands. Today’s dyes are better than they used to be. You will love the linen! Many don’t have patience for it to reach its prime. One day you’ll take it out of the dryer and say, “Ooo. I don’t need to iron this anymore”. Have fun!
rosiewednesday said... (3/19/14 12:31 PM) Reply
Thanks all!
Chococat said... (3/18/14 5:53 PM) Reply
Cute! I like the bow at the neckline, it's adorable!
Hilary said... (3/18/14 4:50 PM) Reply
Your dress is really adorable! Love the red with the white bows, and you did a great job! Looks so cute on you!
sewtime said... (3/18/14 2:02 PM) Reply