Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8976 (Misses' Tunic)

Reviewed by:Spinstapink

Vogue Patterns Pattern Info

More Info provided by Spinstapink

Pattern Rating:Easy & Great for Beginners
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
I chose this pattern because I have a big belly, and was hoping this would help camouflage it. Also, I have slim, boy-ish hips, so I thought the flounce would give me more of an 'hourglass' silhouette.

If I had chosen the size according to the measurements on the back of the envelope, it would have been far too large for me. I have a 44" bust, which would've put me at an XL, so I cut the pattern pieces out and compared them to another knit shirt I own. Based on that comparison, I cut a large, but I think I actually could've gone with a medium, now that I have started making it-- it's a bit too roomy in the chest/armpit area. It is coming together beautifully, and it does look exactly like the photo.

It is super easy to put together, and the instructions are perfectly understandable. I used a fairly stretchy knit fabric (as the envelope recommends) with a 'handkerchief type pattern. It is my first knit sewing project, and I am relieved it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. I have a Necchi with 'stretch stitch' settings- I do not own a serger, and it's working just fine.

I would definitely make this pattern again, but I would cut another size smaller (medium) for a better, "stretchy-knit" fit. I think I can make it work (even though it's a bit big for me) if I wear a push-up bra. I have been working fairly hard to lose some weight, so if I continue to lose more, I may go back and stitch a few more centimeters in to make it fit better under the arms and around the bust.

UPDATE: So I went back and bought the medium size of the pattern and made the tunic in that size with a similar knit to the one I'd made before in the large size. The first top I made was view "C", this time I made "B" (pictured) and I love it! The very first time I wore it, I got two compliments, and my boyfriend thinks it's gorgeous, too!

Mind you, the measurements on the pattern say I should be a size XL, but I made it in medium, and it fits like a glove, except that the sleeves are not as fitted as I would like for a knit garment. I will fix that on the next version I make. Also, I did not make the keyhole button in the back, as I didn't think that was necessary for a knit garment, and it isn't. I just put the back pattern piece on the fold and cut, saving myself an extra seam and messing about with buttons and what-not.

I will keep the original 'large' version of the pattern I cut out, because I would like to try view "A" this summer in cotton, and maybe add some darts to make it fit better in the bust/armhole area, and keep the keyhole in that version.

I love this pattern now, and will probably make a few more tops out of it, because it's very flattering to my 'apple-shaped' body. Plus, you can wear the top with leggings and it covers all the right stuff. As we all know- leggings are not pants! :-D
prttynpnk said... (1/3/15 5:02 PM) Reply
Nice combination of fabric and pattern! Nicely done!
catinthehat2 said... (1/3/15 5:41 AM) Reply
Lovely tunic and great review. The fabric is awesome.
ggf2005 said... (1/3/15 1:26 AM) Reply
lol...tell the college/just graduated from college crowd that leggings are not pants! Your top is cute.

Merchant & Mills Top 64