Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8976 (Misses' Tunic)

Reviewed by:Spinstapink

Pattern Rating:Easy & Great for Beginners
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people
Available for sale on PR: $22.50 (See envelope) Click to Buy
Current Tags What is a Tag:
I chose this pattern because I have a big belly, and was hoping this would help camouflage it. Also, I have slim, boy-ish hips, so I thought the flounce would give me more of an 'hourglass' silhouette.

If I had chosen the size according to the measurements on the back of the envelope, it would have been far too large for me. I have a 44" bust, which would've put me at an XL, so I cut the pattern pieces out and compared them to another knit shirt I own. Based on that comparison, I cut a large, but I think I actually could've gone with a medium, now that I have started making it-- it's a bit too roomy in the chest/armpit area. It is coming together beautifully, and it does look exactly like the photo.

It is super easy to put together, and the instructions are perfectly understandable. I used a fairly stretchy knit fabric (as the envelope recommends) with a 'handkerchief type pattern. It is my first knit sewing project, and I am relieved it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. I have a Necchi with 'stretch stitch' settings- I do not own a serger, and it's working just fine.

I would definitely make this pattern again, but I would cut another size smaller (medium) for a better, "stretchy-knit" fit. I think I can make it work (even though it's a bit big for me) if I wear a push-up bra. I have been working fairly hard to lose some weight, so if I continue to lose more, I may go back and stitch a few more centimeters in to make it fit better under the arms and around the bust.
Available for sale on PR: $22.50 (See envelope)Click to Buy