<< Previous Next >>
|2 more reviews|
|Viewed 206 times|| |
|Reviewed by:||noboDysperfect|| |
|Posted on:||3/29/14 7:58 AM |
|Pattern Size:||Plus-Sized |
Butterick Pattern Info
|Pattern Rating:||Great Wardrobe Builder |
|Review Rating:|| Helpful by 3 people Very Helpful by 1 people |
|See other patterns in this category: Dresses Tops Coat/Jacket Pants Skirts |
|Available for sale on PR: $19.95 (See envelope) Click to Buy |
|Tip: Binding seams - a great finish|
|Fabric:||suiting [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Pattern Description: Lifestyle Wardrobe - Jacket, Top, Dress, Skirt and Pants. I did Jacket and Skirt only.|
Pattern Sizing: 18W-24W. I chose 18W for the jacket and 20W for the skirt, but had to take off the width at the hips. The sizes have reasonable ease incorporated.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, but the Jacket looked longer on me than Butterick's illustrations would indicate, but I am happy with it. Skirt was about right length, but I'm 5ft 5in, so may be short on taller mature women who would prefer the skirt to be knee length, not as short as the Butterick's pattern illustrations indicate.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, but not detailed enough for a beginner, although it was classified as Easy by Butterick
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?Likes:
* Smart style, therefore useful to dress up for work, or down with casual accessories.
* Both Skirt and Jacket are comfortable to wear.
* Skirt hides big tummy.
* The instructions for the shawl collar were poor. I'm not sure if I got it right as (after several goes) there are still puckers where the collar joins shoulders, but the finished drape of the collar seems to look ok.
* There seems to be a bit too much curve on the front Princess seams, making the jacket a bit bulky above the breast area. The pattern illustrations show this too, so perhaps it's a design feature.
* The sleeves were a pain to set in, so I reduced the cap head by 5/8 of an inch at the finish to try to make the sleeve set in smoother. It's better than puffy sleeve caps, but it's still not great.
Fabric Used: Bi-stretch suiting.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Jacket:
Lining with pleat at top for more ease, hanging loop included, kept loose with hem, not bagged.
Omitted hook and eye fastening.
Back pleat, not vent. Invisible zip put in instead of as instructions.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes I would sew it again, but I will research shawl collar techniques on Youtube beforehand. Yes, I would recommend to more experienced sewers.
Conclusion: I won't be making the Dress or Top but I have confidence in the pattern now, so I will try the Trousers sometime. I will be making the Skirt again maybe several times over. I will try the Jacket again too, but on a better quality fabric.
| Available for sale on PR: $19.95 (See envelope)Click to Buy|
Login to Add a Comment