Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Pattern Reviews> Fehr Trade> 103 (Duathlon Shorts)

Reviewed by:Kathhhhhy

Fehr Trade Pattern Info

More Info provided by Kathhhhhy

Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Current Tags What is a Tag: Digital Patterns
Fabric:Nylon-Lycra  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: This is a pattern for close-fitting capris or shorts in three lengths with contrast side panels. There’s an integrated pocket at each hip, perfect for gels, keys, or your phone plus an optional padding piece for cyclists wanting some extra comfort on their ride. An elasticated, high-rise waistband means they won’t shift around as you move, either!

Pattern Sizing: XXS-XL to fit hips 35.5-48" (90-122 cm) I cut a medium waist and graded to a Large for the hips and below that.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yep.

Were the instructions easy to follow? YES! Yes. Yes. Melissa does a stellar job writing her instructions and pairing it with these really detailed illustrations for all the steps. It's what you dream from in a pattern.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
-They are multi-functional for many sporty endeavors, including biking--it has a padded crotch option. I will generally use mine for running.
-The side pockets are so useful!
-They are easy peasy to sew up
-They take very little fabric. It took me under one yard/meter of main fabric and some odd, tiny scrappy bits for the side panels. The pattern recommends 1 meter (1.1 yards), I got it out of about .8 yards (3/4 meter) even with my alterations.
-The directions/illustrations are killer.

Fabric Used: Nylon/spandex for both pairs.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Having made the Fehr Trade PB Jam Leggings before I knew my alterations for this pattern without having to make a muslin for this pattern.

-I added about an inch (2.5 cm) to the back crotch length for the full butt and thighs I do have. I had to alter the crotch pad length the match my alteration as well. I have to note that in the end I did not use the padding bit because I realized I had nothing on hand to use for my padding! Aaaagh!

-I also removed a wedge from right below the waistline-- the upper butt area-- it puckered and bulged out in this area on my PB Jam leggings' muslin

-I do explain all my alterations on my blog photos, including how to alter the crotch padding.

-I also took in the width of the knee area, I found them to be a bit loose and baggy in that area. That was an easy alteration after I sewn them all up but before hemming them.

-I might hem the length up a smidge next time, I have fuller calves and noticed after taking photos that they settled up in the back of my knee. It was not at all weird feeling, I didn't even realize it.

-I made a really fantastic mistake on my 2nd pair. I sewed the side pocket facing the wrong way. My right side pocket is on the INSIDE of my capris... I slipped my house keys in there and they were extra secure and tightly held in while I ran. I will probably have one outside pocket and one inside pocket again for any of these I sew up I the future. I love it!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes! I've made only two pairs of the capris so far. I want the biker length shorts for hot weather.

Conclusion: Love. Love. Love. I'm so lucky to have been a pattern tester for this pattern!! More on my blog Kathy Sews.

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns

careymoonbeam said...
Super cute capris! I especially love the blue ones. What a happy accident with your pocket! I wonder if some of that grippy elastic would help inside the hem to keep them from sliding up into your knees (a pair of my RTW Sugoi capris has this). I will have to get this pattern, but I've promised myself that I am not buying more patterns until I make a few more of the ones I have (including the XYT top).
3/29/14 6:19 PM
velosewer said...
These are both great pairs Kathy. Shorter biker length shorts will be another great creative sewing project. Your pocket mistake is an excellent idea! That's not a mistake, that's being unconsciously clever:)
3/29/14 9:00 PM
charliegirl127 said...
These are so cool. Thank you for such a thorough review. I'll have to check out this company
3/30/14 11:57 AM