Pattern Reviews> Oliver + S> OS042PT (Playtime Dress, Tunic + Leggings)

Reviewed by:michellep74

Available for sale on PR: $15.95 (See envelope) Click to Buy
Current Tags What is a Tag: Digital Patterns
Fabric:Cotton-Lycra Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: From the Oliver + S web site:

"This easy-to-sew dress and tunic pattern is designed for woven or knit fabrics. The topstitched pockets and mock Peter Pan collar add a cute, decorative element that can be dressed up or down depending on your fabric choices. The leggings are designed for knit fabrics and are made with just one pattern piece."

The pattern is available both as a PDF download and as a paper pattern. As is generally my preference for kids' patterns, I used the PDF download version.

So far, I've made the leggings twice and the tunic once.

Pattern Sizing:

Oliver + S sizes 6M-4T, 5-12

I made the size 2T for my 21-month-old daughter. She's slightly shorter than 50th percentile in height and 15th percentile in weight for her age. We're currently transitioning her from size 18M to 2T in kids' RTW.

The fit of the leggings is spot-on with her RTW leggings in brands such as Carter's and Old Navy.

The overall tunic length is a little on the long side, but the sleeve length matches her long-sleeved 2T tops. Obviously, the long-ish length on the tunic isn't an issue with me, given that she's a rapidly growing toddler.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes, the line drawing and pattern envelope are accurate depictions, outside of a few design changes that I made.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

As is always the case that I've found with Oliver + S patterns, their instructions are very detailed. The instructions and pattern would be appropriate for a beginner sewist (this pattern is rated 2 out of 4 "scissors" in difficulty.)

That said, because it's a fairly simple pattern, I didn't really use the instructions. I also made some design changes (discussed later), which necessarily altered my order of construction.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Likes:

* Oliver + S have the PDF thing nailed. Pattern pieces are arranged on the printout so that you have minimal taping to do--if a piece can fit on a single piece of 8 1/2 x 11" paper, it does.

* The leggings pattern is awesome and can be made in about 30 minutes. Contrary to the fabric chart, the 2T leggings only took 1/2 yard of fabric. The back rise is longer to accommodate toddler butt/diaper.

* The tunic is a cute blank canvas of a pattern. And it has pockets!

Dislikes: None.

Fabric Used:

Cotton-lycra jersey (striped and solid pink) purchased from Mill End on our trip to Portland last fall.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

*As designed the Peter Pan collar pattern piece is meant to be a template for topstitching or embellishment. That seemed like a wasted opportunity to me, so I used it to make an applique faux Peter Pan collar.
* The recommended tunic fabrics are wovens, but I wanted to make it out of the striped knit that I had. To convert the tunic to a knit, I eliminated the facings, converted the back placket to a keyhole opening, and bound the neckline.
* I also omitted the topstitching of the pockets to the tunic front.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I will be sewing the leggings over and over again. I can definitely see myself sewing the tunic/dress again--it's a great workhorse pattern that has a lot of room for creativity AND it's a practical design for an active toddler.

I'd tell you that the pattern was worth getting for the leggings pattern alone, but Oliver + S recently made just the leggings piece available as a "singles" download:

Oliver + S "singles"

In any case, I recommend the pattern to anyone sewing for a young girl. The pattern itself and instructions are appropriate for beginners.

Conclusion:

Great, versatile pattern. I had a lot of fun making this and will definitely be using this pattern again.

More pics, info about construction on my blog:

happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com
Available for sale on PR: $15.95 (See envelope)Click to Buy

Adaire said...
I have this pattern and intend to make it soon. Thanks so much for a great review especially about the sizing.
4/1/14 3:27 PM
ConnieBJ said...
What a great review! Thanks for all the work that went into this. This is one of the few O + S patterns that I don't have and I may have to remedy that! What a sweet little model in her great outfit!
4/1/14 3:46 PM
beanchor said...
great review! cute kid:)
4/1/14 5:04 PM
Pj3g said...
Very cute! And looks so comfy too!
4/4/14 4:45 PM