Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8778

Vogue Patterns Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Great Wardrobe Builder
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Coat/Jacket
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Velboa  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:
Jacket or sweater with large asymmetric collar and diagonal asymmetric zip, dolman sleeves with contrast lower sleeves.

Pattern Sizing: Up to a 24. Based on previous reviews and finished measurements, I cut this according to my high bust measurement and it is AMPLE, despite my being an F cup...! Vogue are not kidding when they say something is loose fitting... It is recommended for knit fabrics, but it has so much ease in the design that I made it in a non-stretch and it is still roomy - beware!

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?. Yes, except for my fabric is more fun than theirs, and I would say that they have done some judicious pinning of the jacket for the photo shoot: from the photo, the garments look like they have an hourglass silhouette, but the pattern is in fact very boxy. Also, the collar looks like it fixes together above the zip, but there is no fixing according to the pattern. I plan to add a hook and eye to close the collar otherwise it flops open.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, perfectly clear, although I didn't follow them particularly.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the collar and the contrast sleeves and the ease with which it came together. If I make it again, I might add more shaping through the torso.

Fabric Used:
Cheetah print velboa (pony skin), polyester sweatshirt fabric for the contrast sleeves and underlining.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Astonishingly, I made no fitting adjustments and if anything could have sized down except on the lower sleeve width which is pretty narrow.

I lengthened the lower sleeves as I like extra long sleeves, I underlined the entire jacket with the contrast sweatshirt fabric so it is cosy and fleecy inside (velboa reverse side isn't the nicest thing next to the skin!)
I skipped the topstitching as it didn't really suit the fabric, and I constructed the whole thing on the serger/coverstitch except the zip, so my construction method was a bit different ("quick and dirty" as they say in banking...)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would recommend it as it is very comfortable, easy to put together and distinctive. Not sure I will ever need another, but never say never!!

Conclusion:

Comfy, cosy, cute. Unusual and distinctive pattern, easy construction. I love the fabric and would never have dared to buy something like this RTW - sewing must bring out my wild side!!
AnneM said...
Neat style, what a great way to fancy up sweatshirt fabric (although yours sounds pretty fancy to start with).
4/4/14 6:22 AM