Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2975 (MISSES' JACKET, TOP, DRESS, SKIRT AND PANTS)

Reviewed by:supizoo

About supizoo
AUSTRALIA
Member since: 1/28/09
Posted on:4/5/14 10:28 PM
Last Updated:4/5/14 10:29 PM

Vogue Patterns: 2975 by supizoo  Vogue Patterns: 2975 by supizoo
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Tops    Coat/Jacket    Suits / Separates    Pants    Skirts

Sweater knit fabrics

Maureen Hole said... (4/12/14 3:22 AM) Reply
The fit, the drape, the style and construction all top notch. And you say you're a newbie. More like a natural. Wear with pride.
supizoo said... (4/9/14 5:21 AM) Reply
Looking forward to seeing yours Manybellsdown!
manybellsdown said... (4/8/14 0:28 AM) Reply
Those are EXACTLY the pants I have been looking for. I'm going to have to make this one!
supizoo said... (4/7/14 6:22 AM) Reply
Thanks again for the kind comments. Jstar4520, the zipper is at the front. I think it is called 'mock fly' because there is no fabric behind the zip so the zip itself sits against your body, as a skirt zip would, but it has the standard flap over the front of the zip like normal pants zip. Does that make sense!? Katharine Hepburn? I like! VogueMistress, I'm waiting, not very patiently (!), for your review on the jacket. For reference, the pants sit approx 1cm above my belly button. I've added this point to the review.
VogueMistress said... (4/6/14 10:30 PM) Reply
I like your version more than the pattern illustration, which look too stiff to me. These are rally flattering and drape well. I'm just about to cut the jacket, so I'll have to reconsider those pants!
SewWil said... (4/6/14 10:17 PM) Reply
Beautiful pants! Great job!
Jrhee said... (4/6/14 9:11 PM) Reply
Lovely slacks. I might have to check this pattern out!
Jstarr4250 said... (4/6/14 6:43 PM) Reply
I think they look marvelous and beautifully sewn...very Katharine Hepburn. One question...if the fly is "mock", does that mean they have a side seam zipper?
supizoo said... (4/6/14 6:05 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for your feed back. It's much appreciated. I've been sewing for quite a while but am only just starting to pay attention to the details, thanks to this community. Thanks for your help, I'll have these comments open as I tackle the next pair. DreinPA, comfort is paramount to me...so perhaps I can live with the bits I can't see!
carolynw said... (4/6/14 1:14 PM) Reply
They look really great on you - with your height and shape a gunny sack would probably also look good :) I know these pants are designed with wide legs and that look is a classic on you - however, I do think you might be a 1/2 size or 1 too large - you have a flat bottom so some adjustments might be needed there but if I had pants fit me like this I would be over the moon. Great job!
degnancy said... (4/6/14 10:50 AM) Reply
These look great on you! Classy but comfortable. I would be crossing the street to ask you where you bought your pants!
DreinPA said... (4/6/14 10:49 AM) Reply
I get the same tear drop and it is possible to remove it, but perhaps at the expense of comfort. There is some extra width in the back of the pants. It is not significant and probably not worth the effort. As for the sizing, pattern sizing is just plain different than RTW so if ALL patterns are "2 sizes too big" change your mode of thinking. You are a different size in patterns than stores. And if that is how you are sewing as a newbie, then WOW, because your attention to details is great. I think you should declare these a success. Paired with a fine knit top, pointy kitten-heeled shoes and a thin belt, people will be crossing the street to look at you!!
cindyann said... (4/6/14 9:13 AM) Reply
I think they look terrific. Your sewing is very nicely done. You have the perfect figure to wear this wide leg style.
Fran G said... (4/6/14 8:08 AM) Reply
Great review! You have a long, lean look wearing these pants…I think the fit is fine and agree with FreyaStark..wide legs, and skimming the hip looks great on you.
FreyaStark said... (4/6/14 7:47 AM) Reply
They look pretty good and are beautifully made. I think the appearance of being oversized (as twisted poppy mentions) is part of the design, ie they are meant to be wide legged. Then again I like a loose fit more than some people. I can't help with your fitting concerns, although it may be that a closer fitting, more conventional style might give more satisfactory results. The next pair will be even better!
Grandmomof7boys said... (4/6/14 7:30 AM) Reply
This is a very thorough review with lots of helpful information. Thanks.
twistedpoppy said... (4/5/14 11:54 PM) Reply
The only thing I can think of is that you fabric was off grain causing the weird shapes in the leg, overall I think these pants are way too big from the top of the hip down, though they don't look high waisted at all in the photos to me.
renren said... (4/5/14 11:37 PM) Reply
Sorry, I can't help you with fitting issues but I can tell you your pants look great and your sewing looks so meticulously done!

Simplicity 9902 A