Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 09-2010-122 (September cover dress)

Reviewed by:Elizabeth made this

About Elizabeth made thisstarstar
Member since: 8/8/07
Posted on:4/8/14 4:44 PM
Last Updated:4/6/15 4:16 PM
Pattern Size:Petite
Project Photo:BurdaStyle Magazine: 09-2010-122 by Elizabeth made this

BurdaStyle Magazine: 09-2010-122 by Elizabeth made this  BurdaStyle Magazine: 09-2010-122 by Elizabeth made this
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Info provided by Elizabeth made this

Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Fabric:Ponte Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: fitted knit sheath dress with several horizontal seams that wrap around to the back of the dress

Pattern Sizing:17-21

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?yes, minus the sleeve flaps

Were the instructions easy to follow?The numbered seams make this dress very quick and simple to put together. I didn't read the printed directions, but I can't imagine them being clearer than the numbered seam diagram. There's times that words complicate matters, and this is one of them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I hate the sleeve flaps. They look absurd to me. But others had eliminated them successfully, so when the right bit of ponte fell into my lap, I went for it.

The rest of the dress I love. The silhouette is not unlike the Breakfast at Tiffany's dress and the seaming adds a modern twist to it.
Fabric Used:Blush ponte knit from Vogue Fabrics in Chicago (Downtown location)

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:I had to bring the inner edge of the shoulder in for strap coverage and because my narrow shoulder adjustment would have narrowed the shoulder seam too much.

The dress is also quite long--midi length on me which is not terribly flattering. I can't remember precisely how much I shortened it, but I think it was about 3".

I also eliminated the facings and opted to underline the top 2 front sections and the back yoke with powernet (the pieces involved in the armscye) which made for a clean finish and no floppy facing issues.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?This was hands down the most fun dress I've ever made. A zipper and some walking vents would not be bad additions to this dress as it is fitted and doesn't allow for a ton of movement. Ponte isn't the most stretchy of all of the knits, so think about a vent or a zipper if you make this dress. I almost ripped out a shoulder when I mistakenly put the dress on backwards.

Conclusion: A lovely dress for the opera.
More on my blog.
Elizabeth Made This: A dress for the opera

liliv said... (4/6/15 6:55 PM) Reply
It's amazing, a real stunner!
Harriet29 said... (4/6/15 4:23 PM) Reply
How elegant - all ready for a night on the town!!!
madbadger said... (4/11/14 12:05 PM) Reply
I love this - so unique & elegant, nice job!
Quickie said... (4/9/14 9:26 AM) Reply
You looked wonderful at the opera. I also think that your accessories were nice
becca a said... (4/9/14 9:08 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress! The color is lovely on you, and the seaming and fit are glorious. Lovely dress for the opera.
supizoo said... (4/8/14 5:16 PM) Reply
Elegant colour, beautiful shape, I hope you enjoyed the opera.
Speech girl said... (4/8/14 4:46 PM) Reply
Lovely! The color suits you.

Ultrasuede Jacket DVD