Pattern Reviews> Ottobre Woman Magazine> 05-2012-11 (Cool Grey)

Review submitted in Bargainista Fashionista Contest 2014 Contest
Reviewed by:Elizabeth made this

About Elizabeth made thisstarstar
Member since: 8/8/07
Posted on:4/28/14 9:33 AM
Last Updated:4/6/15 4:13 PM
Project Photo:Ottobre Woman Magazine: 05-2012-11 by Elizabeth made this

Ottobre Woman Magazine: 05-2012-11 by Elizabeth made this  Ottobre Woman Magazine: 05-2012-11 by Elizabeth made this
Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Fabric:Bamboo Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: A copy of Free People's Synergy Lace Cuff tee.
Inspiration piece: originally $68
My version: 1.5 yds bamboo knit @4.99= $7.48
+$10 on 2 venise lace appliques
+ $1 in mesh lining
+ $.10 on scrap of power knit= $18.58

Total savings= 72.7%

Pattern Sizing:34-52

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?This pattern was uncharacteristically unhelpful of Ottobre in explaining how to do the front gathers. It wasn't marked at all on the pattern, and the directions are more vague than Ottobre usually is. I wonder if this isn't because the other two t-shirts in the issue are both scoop necks and the gathers on this tee skew it into more of a v-neck shape. In the end, I made up the tee before putting on the binding, running 3 rows of vertical basting down the center that I gathered. I tried on the tee and adjusted the gathers until I liked them, then applied the piece of self-trim to cover the gathers. I think that is what Ottobre intended for this pattern.

The directions for binding the v-neck are very clear and helpful.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?This is a good basic tee with the added interest of the center front gathers.

I left the lining hanging free at the hem and didn't hem it because I'm on the fence about the length. The tee is very long. I shortened it a couple of inches, and it's still very very long on me. Another reminder that I am not Finnish in height. I'm going to see how I wear this tee within my wardrobe for a while before I decide if I want to shorten it or not.

Fabric Used:
Bamboo knit from Vogue Fabrics (downtown)
power knit and mesh knit from Colorado Fabrics
Venise lace appliques from Mary Not Martha on Etsy

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:I added the venise lace on the sleeves, cutting out the main fabric behind the applique and backing it with power knit for stability.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?Free People has a ridiculous number of variations on this theme of lace cuff tees and I love them all. Knowing how long it took me to find the right lace for this project though, it will probably be 2058 before I get around to making every version.

Conclusion: I'm really pleased with how this turned out. I don't think there was one minute of making this that I didn't enjoy thoroughly. Would that all projects were this fun.

More on the tee on my blog
Elizabeth Made This: Free People Lace Cuff Thermal Copy Tee, plus a tutorial for how I applied the lace cuff Elizabeth Made This: adding a venise lace applique to a sleeve.

becca a said... (5/3/14 5:59 PM) Reply
Lovely top and it looks just like your inspiration RTW.
sewgirlygirl-knot! said... (4/30/14 9:46 PM) Reply
You nailed it..plus added your own flair. I agree with KensingtonCrab...Great pose! It's hard to tell which is the inspiration piece.
Alpine Queen said... (4/30/14 12:01 PM) Reply
I was just in a hole in the wall fabric place yesterday, the kind with everything piled everywhere, trims all in plastic bins. I saw some really interesting lace stuff, asked what it was for, she said people put them on sleeves. And now you've done it, too. Cool effect. Something new to me.
Quickie said... (4/30/14 1:42 AM) Reply
I love your use of the lace
wildberrymom said... (4/29/14 1:38 PM) Reply
Great shirt--love the lace.
michellep74 said... (4/29/14 1:37 PM) Reply
Great tee!
Silknmore said... (4/29/14 9:39 AM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous. Great workmanship.
Kayseri said... (4/29/14 2:28 AM) Reply
Great knock off. Beautifully made and really suits you
supizoo said... (4/29/14 2:10 AM) Reply
Really sweet! How lovely to have so much fun making such a pretty top.
Maureen Hole said... (4/29/14 0:14 AM) Reply
Cute. Nice lace.
Sew Good said... (4/28/14 11:22 PM) Reply
Love it!
The Dreamstress said... (4/28/14 9:47 PM) Reply
Lovely! Such a pretty colour on you! And great savings!
msschiel said... (4/28/14 6:55 PM) Reply
Beautiful! I think yours looks better than the models. I like the gathering in the front.
Mufffet said... (4/28/14 10:13 AM) Reply
Nice - very pretty!
carrie18584 said... (4/28/14 10:06 AM) Reply
Such a pretty top!
KensingtonCrab said... (4/28/14 9:53 AM) Reply
Very pretty top! Love the cuff lace! Also, great pose! ;)

by: Sheila457