Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 5173 (6 skorts made easy)

Reviewed by:Jeanine

About Jeaninestar
Member since: 4/8/02
Posted on:11/21/05 7:21 AM
Last Updated:6/25/05 7:39 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people
Sherril Miller said... (6/27/05 0:00 AM) Reply
I have this pattern too, but the alterations keep me from trying it. Your fit right out of the envelope is superb. I'm very impressed, they look very cute on you.
AnneM said... (6/26/05 5:58 PM) Reply
Very cute. Great mitre.
JDpenelope said... (6/26/05 5:22 PM) Reply
Nice job on a cute outfit. I'm not skilled enough to know the cause of the folds in the front, so I'll defer to the skilled sewists who have given you advice to add more ease in the hip, which seems right. The fit looks very good in back, but how does it feel when you sit? It shouldn't take much for you to perfect this fit.
Danvillegirl said... (6/26/05 3:58 PM) Reply
Really cute skort. Adding to length over tummy; maybe letting out the side seams a tad. Not a bad fit in my opinion. You did a great job with the mitered corner. I have yet to get something that nice. Lovely fabric!
Jeanine said... (6/26/05 9:48 AM) Reply
Ok, so I should add some width to the side seams, and add some more length to the back crotch. Is this "scooping out" the crotch? I am going to try it again, I will post new pics here when alterations are done. Thanks everyone! This is some great advice!
ryan's mom said... (6/26/05 8:49 AM) Reply
Those skorts are really nice, and paired with the top it is such a nice summer outfit. It's tough for me to make a call on the fit issue. You don't look like you have a big tummy, may just a little looser at the side seams would work? Agreeing with the above post that PFRP or FFRP make give you a better perspective on what type of alteration to make.
Hilary said... (6/26/05 7:39 AM) Reply
This is *so* cute on you! I think the fit is very good for straight from the envelope! I think a tiny bit more width through the hips (maybe an inch total?) would help, there's a very slight tightness through the back, and also maybe a little more length in the back crotch. I personally would add width to go over the tummy-again not much, maybe an inch. Looks good!
PixieCat said... (6/26/05 5:29 AM) Reply
Nice skort and your fabric sure is fun! The mitered corner looks beautiful.
CarolynGM said... (6/26/05 4:39 AM) Reply
The fit is pretty darn good right out of the envelope. I do think that you need a little more length in the CB seam though. In the photo, it looks like tightness there might be making the inseams hike up - might just be the picture, but it's something to check.
hongkongshopper said... (6/26/05 1:17 AM) Reply
If you have a "bump", you need more fabric to go over it. So the solution maybe to add more fabric to the top (just the tummy area) and then it would not pull up. Fit For Real People covers this situation very well. I'm not so sure about adding width to the sides unless you feel it is too tight around the butt. Maybe a little bit, but it depends on how you like it. I think more lengthto cover the tummy. Try, and see what you think. And nice mitre!
Peggy L said... (6/25/05 9:27 PM) Reply
Nice construction and mitre. I think if you added a little more to the hip area the back would fit better, too. That should take care of the drag line. We have the same body style - waist? What is a waist?
Leslie in Austin said... (6/25/05 8:43 PM) Reply
Oh but that's cute! Why didn't I buy any of that stretch poplin?!? *pout* I think the fit through the seat looks good as long as it feels right to you. (I'm one of those that likes my pants a little booty-huggin'.) I do agree that you could use some front hip ease, though. All that aside, your skort looks really great and that mitered corner is *perfect*! Well done.
Tiner W said... (6/25/05 8:32 PM) Reply
These are really cute! I like the length and the fabric you chose!
Laurieo said... (6/25/05 8:30 PM) Reply
It looks like you did a nice job with the construction. As far as the fit goes, it's really not bad. I think that you could use a little more ease along the hip area. Also, the crotch curve in the back looks a little high - but that might just be the angle of the picture. All in all, I think you did a nice job!

Pattern Work