Online Sewing Class: Pattern Work

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4549 (Tiered skirt)

Reviewed by:Patti B

About Patti Bstarstarstarstar
Member since: 9/29/02
Posted on:6/30/05 12:09 PM

Sweater knit fabrics

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

MaryBeth said... (7/1/05 7:15 AM) Reply
Another winner, Patti B. The color scheme and styles for your mini-swap are so clever!
CarolynGM said... (7/1/05 6:24 AM) Reply
Very cute skirt. I agree that these yokes are somewhat challenging to fit. I always seem to have to go down a size to keep the skirt from falling off. The cardigan and skirt look great together.
jlg said... (7/1/05 5:15 AM) Reply
Very cute, summery skirt.
Sew Jane said... (6/30/05 8:04 PM) Reply
Your skirt is great! Thanks for the thoughtful review. I have this pattern waiting in the stash too!
AnneM said... (6/30/05 6:20 PM) Reply
I've been seeing a number of these. My 1st yoke (which I just made) proves to me that they aren't as easy as they look!
Mirza said... (6/30/05 4:34 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for reviewing this pattern. I have it in my stash and am looking forward to making. Great idea from nanflan about the yoke!!!
Patti B said... (6/30/05 4:18 PM) Reply
bunz, the yoke has the straight grain in the CF and CB. It's a nice pattern and easy-peasy.
bunz said... (6/30/05 4:09 PM) Reply
Your SWAP is happening FAST! Congrats. Is the yoke cut on the straignt grain? I need a yoke for my skirts, too.
Hilary said... (6/30/05 3:07 PM) Reply
Your skirt is cute! So summery, and the colors are pretty. Thanks for the tips!
Patti B said... (6/30/05 2:28 PM) Reply
Nanflan, that's a great idea for the next yoked skirt. I've been using the soil separator paper for my 'muslins' -- anyone else do this? sew2little, thanks, girl -- it'll be nice when my photographer comes home; maybe I'll have better photos?
NancyDaQ said... (6/30/05 1:03 PM) Reply
Patti, very cute! I have this pattern too and perhaps I can get to it this weekend. I have a hint to pass on relating to yokes--I learned this when I was making the Lotus Skirt from the Sewing workshop. Didn't want to miss with a $10 pattern. Trace off and make a mock up off the yoke in each size that might fit (yes including a zipper!). Try on until you get the right fit, then cut the rest of the pattern from that. My hips are located high on my bod, so the correct size in a yoke is always a bit "iffy"--but taking the time to fit the yoke really works well.
sherri2sew said... (6/30/05 12:52 PM) Reply

sherri2sew said... (6/30/05 12:49 PM) Reply
You and me, too, Patti! How do these kids put up with their clothes almost falling off?? It distracts me to have something rest way below my waist. Thanks lots for the review - very helpful. I just got this pattern for DD1 and was hoping it was actually like the picture and rested on the hips. Both my DDs think wearing skirts at the waist is so "old lady". But I'm like you, if it's not at my waist it drives me crazy because I keep pulling it up (I don't like the feeling that my skirt is falling down!).
sew2little said... (6/30/05 12:36 PM) Reply
I've seen Patti in this skirt in person--and the photos don't really do justice to how cute she looks in it! Who would think that an extra easy Simplicity pattern would yield such great results?

Understanding Wool Fabrics