PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 2226 (Learn to Sew Misses' Skirt)

Reviewed by:MyKittyCat

Pattern Photo:Simplicity 2226
Simplicity Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 2 people
See other patterns in this category: Skirts
Available for sale on PR: $15.95 (See envelope) Click to Buy
  • Tip: "Don't measure yourself, measure what fits"
  • Current Tags What is a Tag:
    Fabric:Wool Woven  [See other projects in this fabric]
    Pattern Description:
    Simplicity's Learn to Sew pattern collection. Misses' skirt in two lengths and tie belt.

Pattern Sizing:
    Size 6 to 18

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
    Not quite as I made a number of changes to it

Were the instructions easy to follow?
    This was the second time I have made the skirt (plus a couple of calico mock ups) so I was very familiar with the instructions. Easy to follow though and helpful with the online sew along blog of Noodleheads at:
    Noodlehead sew along

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
    My first review goes into this in more depth, however I like the style of the skirt, the addition of belt loops and it's ability to easily adjust the pattern to change its style. The biggest issue with this pattern is the sizing as it makes a skirt with about 2 sizes of wearing ease. Check the sizing by making up a quick waistband before using the real fabric.

Fabric Used:
    Thick wool knit boucle. Not sure of it's official name!! Was a one and a half meter remnant on ebay. Fell in love with it as I love knitty type fabrics and stripes! Also and got a good bargain.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
    As this was my second attempt I made a fair number of changes to create a different skirt. As the material was very thick I removed the pockets and drafted it into a more simple design. I wanted to avoid too much gathering due to the thickness so made a size 6 skirt on a 14 waistband. Tested this first in calico just in case!
    I also added an invisible zip which was a massive pain on this fabric! Boucle and zips - need I say more!!!

The resulting skirt works well however I did hit a number of issues mainly due to my choice of fabric. The sewing machine struggled through the seams but I did get there in the end and also had a job reducing the bulk at the waistband areas. The fabric doesn't fray at all so I didn't need to hem the bottom which was handy.
    The main issue I found is that the waistband stretched up by maybe a size. This was totally down to me forcing a fabric to do something it wasn't really designed for. I did really love the idea of a skirt in this fabric but with hind sight should have chosen perhaps a simple straight or A line style skirt with no waistband. It works fine with the belt but I may re-visit it to put a different waistband on in a more sensible fabric before the winter season comes around again! It was an excellent learning experience on working with a fabric like this and understanding it's limits (and mine!).

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
    I already have plans to make yet another one! This time in a more summery embroidered fabric for the warmer weather. Should be so much easier to do! I may even try this in a soft drapey jersey. Will definitely need a more solid fabric for the waistband of course!

I would really recommend this pattern to others especially as a learn to sew project. Be very aware of the sizing issues though. Great wardrobe builder and very versatile. I was very inspired by the number of different versions over all the reviews on this site. It seems that almost anything goes with this one. So much you can do with this pattern.

As a style it also works well for me as I have a smaller waist and larger hip ratio. Fitted skirts often accentuate what I consider to be an area I am trying to hide so I tend find this style more flattering to my shape as long as it is not too overly gathered and flouncy.

Conclusion:
    Great pattern and good fun to have a crack at trying it in different ways. In my opinion this is a good solid pattern for beginners and experienced alike if you like the style. Just check the sizes out before you cut into your fabric!

Available for sale on PR: $15.95 (See envelope)Click to Buy

canei said...
    Nice!
    5/21/14 7:42 AM
    badcooker said...
    Thanks so much for the detailed review and all the tips! I love your skirt and it looks fantastic on you.
    5/22/14 10:19 AM