PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Pattern Reviews> Master Pattern Book> The garden party jacket  (La parisienne)

Reviewed by:Muggiesew

Project Photo:Master Pattern Book: The garden party jacket  by Muggiesew

Master Pattern Book: The garden party jacket  by Muggiesew
Pattern Rating:Great Wardrobe Builder
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Edge to edge jacket using Built by Wendy Coats and Jackets. This was the Garden Party Jacket a variation of la Parisienne, using the Basic Fitted Jacket.
Wendy's book gives 3 basic patterns and instructions to make a handful of garments from each set with full instructions and which patterns pieces to use and how to alter them ( length changes etc). There are then alternates to each if these shown as images.
All the information is there to make loads of different coats or jackets It probably needs some experience to have the confidence to start from diagrams. I was surprised how straight forward I found this one.
I've used the book before to make a coat so knew the size to go for and transferred my adjustments to the 'basic fitted jacket' pieces.
I accidentally traced the side back instead of side front, for the princess seams. It fitted perfectly and saved having to do the SBA!
The fabric is cheapo polyester from our local market. It works as a test and I will probably wear it until the nasty feel if the fabric irritates me too much.
I lined it but not using facings. I was trying to save time so just make a duplicate jacket in lining material and bagged it. It works - just but next time I will use facings and interface them. They are worth it ( yes I know all you experienced sewers could have told me! But I've learnt for myself now- forgive me)
I added pockets with a flap.
I had to top stitch every single seam because the fabric us unpressable! It just bends. The stitching doesn't show due to the tweedy weave , thank goodness.
Overall I'm pleased with it and recommend this pattern book with all its options. There's something for everyone.
I'm sure I will make more, next time will be decent fabric and lined properly.
Skirt to follow as there was fabric left.
AngelaSews said...
The jacket looks lovely!
5/25/14 5:04 PM
NJcowgirl said...
I'm not familiar with the book but your jacket looks great and the fabric is very pretty. Good job!
5/26/14 4:32 PM
cln said...
Very Cute Jacket. Well done!!
5/28/14 9:05 AM

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Sewing Workshop Oasis Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Oasis Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

Buy Now