PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6273 (Misses' Jacket, Top, Pants and Skirt)

Reviewed by:sunnycat

Pattern Photo:

Buy Pattern
New Look Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
See other patterns in this category: Coordinates
Fabric:Polyester Woven  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: pattern for unlined jacket, draw string straight skirt, drawstring wide legged pants, and short sleeved shell. I made the jacket and shell

Pattern Sizing: misses 10-22. I made the 10

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? yes exactly

Were the instructions easy to follow? yes, very clear

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the front of the jacket, especially the drape of the collar. I don't like that the back doesn't lie flat like on the pattern envelope but swings out a bit, but I'm ok with it. I just love the fit of this shell, the neckline, cap sleeves. No dislikes on the shell. Both pieces are very versatile

Fabric Used: linen look 100% polyester suiting from JoAnn Fabrics 100& rayon challis print from JA's for the shell. Both fabrics are very cool in the heat and don't wrinkle.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Oh Boy! Most patterns fit me if the finished bust measure is 37" This one for the 10, is 36 1/2" I thought it would be better to go up a size to a 12 or a 38" bust measure. Wrong! The shoulders were hanging down and there were pleats of excess material on the front. I took it completely apart yesterday, cutting the pieces smaller I think it turned out pretty good, not as good if I just followed the size 10 in the first place but it does look nice. The front and sleeves are perfect. I'm not so crazy about the back since it doesn't lay flat like the pattern photo. It flares out a bit, like a swing jacket.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes

Conclusion: This turned out to be a nice pantsuit I made pants from New Look 6189 out of the same fabric. The jacket pattern is short. I am 5' 1/2" and the length is perfect on me. The front is longer than the back. The shell hangs down below the jacket in the back Next, I'm going to make the skirt in white cotton sateen.

Understanding Knit Fabrics