Pattern Reviews> Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop> Alex & Anna Summer PJs (Alex & Anna Summer PJs)

Reviewed by:michellep74

Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop: Alex & Anna Summer PJs by michellep74
Pattern Photo:Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop Alex & Anna Summer PJs
Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Easy & Great for Beginners
See other patterns in this category: Kids(boys & girls)
Available for sale on PR: $7.95 (See envelope) Click to Buy
Current Tags What is a Tag: Digital Patterns
Fabric:Cotton Jersey  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: From the Peek-a-Boo Patterns web site:

"Keep your little ones comfy and cool all summer long in the Alex & Anna PJs! Pattern includes shorts, tank, and tee- perfect for creating mix and match sets."

Pattern Sizing:

Peek-a-Boo patterns sizes 6 mos - child's 8.

I sewed a size 2T for my 23-month-old daughter, who wears a 2T in RTW. The fit for the 2T was spot-on with her RTW pajamas. Note that these are a "slim fit" pajama, and choose your size accordingly.

I'll also point out that the pattern instructions say that Peek-a-Boo uses the same sizing chart as Simplicity and Burda. Same chart as Burda, maybe, but these definitely do not have the enormous amount of ease issue that Big 4 patterns often have.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes, very much so.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

The instructions are clearly geared towards beginners, and I mean that in a good way, unless you're looking for super-polished kids' PJ's. The instructions have you sewing as many things in flat (arm and leg hem bands, neck binding) before moving to sewing in the round. This makes it super easy to work with these small-ish openings, but doesn't produce quite as nice as a result as attaching the bands in the round. (Obviously, you could choose to modify the construction order if you wanted.) However, a beginner/knit beginner shouldn't have any problem with these and should be able to produce a cute set of summer PJ's for a child.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Likes: Super fast and easy to sew. This pattern is a rarity--a knit summer PJ pattern for kids! Most importantly, my daughter loves these PJ's.

Dislikes:As drafted, the neck opening is small for a toddler-proportioned head. Because neither my main knit or contrast knit had spandex, I increased the neck opening size and bound the opening with foldover elastic (FOE) to make the top easier to get over my daughter's head.

Fabric Used:

Penguin knit (now out of stock) from Girl Charlee

Contrast came from a 1/2 yard leftover remnant in my stash. I believe that it's a bamboo/cotton/rayon blend from fabric.com purchased a few years ago.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Just enlarging the neck opening and using FOE to bind, as noted.

I also sewed a coordinating pair of leggings (using the Oliver+S leggings pattern) to increase the versatility of this PJ set for our variable weather in Seattle.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I'd absolutely sew this again. Eva could use a few more sets of these this summer. I'd definitely recommend it to others, as well--just check the size of the neck opening compared to your child's head before attaching the band.

Conclusion:

I made these in a rush over Memorial Day weekend because our temperatures have been heating up (for the PNW), and Eva only had 2 sets of summer PJ's. She's also lately been insisting on wearing her flannel penguin PJ's even when it's 72 degrees in the house. Enter this nice light-to-midweight cotton knit from Girl Charlee and a summer PJ pattern to solve our penguin problem!
Available for sale on PR: $7.95 (See envelope)Click to Buy

BeaJay said...
How cute is that. Lovely pjs for your daughter.
5/30/14 6:10 PM
marymary86 said...
Your daughter is adorable and I appreciate this review. Sewing pjs is a way we grandparents can sew for our grandchildren without offending sensibilities of label conscious parents. The kids really love them too. I love the way your daughter looks in hers.
6/6/14 9:22 AM