PatternReview.com

Butterick Pattern Info

More Info provided by allysskanhuskey

Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 2 people
See other patterns in this category: Accessories
Available for sale on PR: $16.95 (See envelope) Click to Buy
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Felt - Synthetic  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:
Pattern has various accessories suitable for Medieval costumes

Pattern Sizing:
Pattern comes in s-l and xl-xxl. However, the corset sizing is done entirely with the lacing, making it one-size-fits-"small"

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

ONLY for the actresses who fit into the "small" size range, because the only way to adjust size was to let out the lacing. The gaps between pieces were huge for actresses who fell between medium and small, medium actresses, and large actresses.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I was so looking forward to using this pattern, as I thought it looked like a simple but flattering way to give shape to a set of very gathered costume dresses. However, I was very disappointed to see that there was absolutely no sizing whatsoever. It appears that to obtain different sizes, the pattern maker expected you to just let out the lacing. For my actresses with 26-27 inch waists, the pattern worked fine. For everyone else, the gaps were HUGE and unflattering unless the corset was laced so tight that the grommets were in danger of ripping through the fabric, which made unsightly muffin-tops anyway.

I also did not like that the pattern does not leave a seam allowance for a hem-- you are supposed to leave the edges unfinished.

Fabric Used:
Stretch satin fused to synthetic felt.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Even though the pattern had no sizng, I cut it according to the pattern, assuming it would at least fit the "mediums, who made up the majority of my cast. WRONG, this pattern only fit as shown on the "small" actresses. My "medium" actresses all had 31 inch waists, which is actually between medium and small, and I had to add a 3-inch panel on BOTH sides to get the pattern to fit as pictured. I had to add a 5 inch panel on both sides to fit my actress who was a "large". I also had to trim all the edges to get it to contour correctly.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would sew it again, but if I sewed it again I would have to re-draft for medium and large. The only reason I would recommend it to others is because I haven't found another pattern like it. I would recommend it with a STRONG caution to re-size the pieces for anyone with a waist larger than 28 or 29 inches or to buy the xl-xxl size, unless they did not mind large gaps. I would also recommend stronger fabrics and boning if anyone wants to use this as a corset for shaping purposes rather than decorative purposes.

Conclusion:
Because this pattern didn't have sizing and only fit as shown on actresses with 26-29 inch waists, I had to seam-rip the center seams apart and buy more fabric to add panels. It took a nunch of extra time and because I had to re-contour the edges it does not really look as pictured. The finished product looks great but it took much more work than expected due to the "one-size-fits-small" sizing.

Available for sale on PR: $16.95 (See envelope)Click to Buy