PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Pattern Reviews> Thread Theory Designs> Strathcona Henley & Tee (Strathcona Henley & T-Shirt)

Reviewed by:wingamajig

Current Tags What is a Tag: Digital Patterns
Fabric:Rayon Jersey  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:
This is a slim-cut men's Henley or T-shirt pattern

It's a MENS pattern, but it was a reject, so I altered it to fit me.

Pattern Sizing:
I made the size Medium, but kept the length of size Large.
If I make it again I'll cut a size Large throughout, because he needed a little more room in the shoulders. I should have measured his chest, instead of just using the waist measurement he gave me. Why is it people who don't sew only know their waist measurement, and not even that reliably? Was I once just like them but can't remember?

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Not quite. The crew-neck collar is lower-cut than expected.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, they are very easy - with instructions for serger or standard machine.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
My boyfriend didn't like how low the collar was. Also, the fit through the shoulders was bad on him - which was odd since his shoulders are neither square nor sloping.

Fabric Used:
The fabric I chose is a rayon-blend jersey that I bought at Chic Fabrics in NY. It has a marvelous hand & drape - which make it terrible for menswear. This is reason #2 why this is now MY shirt, and not HIS. It's really difficult to find a mid to heavyweight jersey in stripes. Menswear sewing is hard

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
This was my first menswear attempt. It's difficult to do alterations for someone other than me - however, altering it to fit me once he'd rejected it was very easy

To "lady" it up, I cut 4" from the sleeve length, took in the cuffs by 2" circumference, and 3/4" length. Next I started about half-way up the arm on each side, and serged off the seam to fit. I took about 1/2 inch from the allowance under the arm, expanding to remove 1" in the chest, and 1.5" from the waist quickly widening back to the normal pattern in the high hip. So, the net amount off the waist was about 6", and the bust about 4"

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I may try it again, but I'm going to try Jalie pattern 2918 first. I'm not too interested in altering a basic T.
Nancy Rhodes said...
Dudes... I they they are hard to sew for! Lovely blue, great recovery. I love the pattern packaging which included a Thread Theory sewn in label to use.
6/11/14 7:33 AM
AnneM said...
Glad you were able to save the top & alter it for yourself. The fabric does look a bit softer than for most menswear. Too bad this pattern didn't work for him.
6/20/14 1:24 PM