Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 1808 (Misses' Sportswear top+pants)

Reviewed by:Kabunta

Simplicity Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
initial review : size 16 top+pants
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

blog post for green outfit

Pattern Description:
Misses' pants & shorts with elastic waist and tie front and pockets, jacket and knit dress or top and tie belt. Sew Stylish Collection.

I did the top and the long pants. This review is for this pieces.

Pattern Sizing:
Was 8-16. Cut 16.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I would say that you can still see the pattern in my garment but I like the look in my project so much more then the pattern envelop.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
My instructions come in French and German ( I just have some basic French left from high-school ).

For the top everything seemed pretty strait forward to me and I think the pictures might have even be enough. The problem was with my fabric that was raveling like no tomorrow.So I just sew all those parts as quick as I could and sew overcasting on everything. Also assembled collar in a different order ( all done before attaching it to the knit part).

For the pants the instructions started really promising. I really used their help all that until I start working on the waistband. That felt like a nightmare so many steps and fabric pieces there.... bah I just skipped that and drafted my own waistband.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I did this pattern for a surprise gift for my mother in low. I picked it up because I needed to make something without being able to proper measure her or have some fitting session. The result was better then I expected and the pattern was easy to do. I really like this stylish look with enough ease for summer.

Fabric Used: A knit with a silky thread for the top, stretch cotton woven for pants and top neck, lace for decorations.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I knew The top should have more length at both waist and sleeve/shoulder areas. The waist was kind of obvious line since it was marked but what should I do to have more room for the shoulders and sleeve? I decided to add some extra just below the collar line so I will only have to change the front and back patterns for the top not the collar pieces too. here is a picture with this changes: (+ 2cm under the neck line and +3cm at the waist line)( there are some pictures with the altered pattern on my blog).

As you can also note I used a knit with stripes and I cut the pattern on the bias . Although I am a big fan of making my own rules I had enough failures to know that sometimes is better to take into account the pattern recommendations. They suggested a double stretch knit and mine was only one way stretch. I was afraid it will not be comfortable to wear it so I thought the bias will give it more ease and also I just love the cool V effect of stripes on bias. That's why I cut the front piece in 2 as well resulting in one extra seam in the middle. For the top collar I didn't want to go with the same fabric that was very thin and unraveling. I used the stretch cotton fabric I was intending for the pants and added some lace embroidery tape decoration. The result was not bad at all.

For the pants I added 13.5 cm in length and also slightly widened it under the knee line with 2-3cm. I decided to draft my own waistband : straight in the back and sides , slight curved in front. I kept the 2 elastic band idea. Also I used the same lace decoration from the top neck to the side pockets, hem and frontal part of the waistband skipping the bow that would have only added to volume to an already big waist.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I liked this pattern while sewing so I definitely intent on doing a top on my size as well, maybe try a dress or the jacket too.

Conclusion:
The project was a success to me and I very pleased with this pattern so far.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
update - size 10 top
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I was saying before I wanted to do this top for myself as well. I cut size 10 this time and it was perfect for me (no adjustments). The pattern is for knit but I used thin cotton blend very pleasant at the touch ( but no stretch ) . I am lucky my bust is not that big else I would have needed a side zipper. I think that for my top the gathering at the neck line looks a lot better and more like the envelop picture. Now That I sew it the second time and the fabric was easy to work with I come down really fast. I don't exactly love it but I like it. I do recommend it to you and I will probably sew it again since I can now do it for myself in 2 hours if I don't cont potential embellishments.

blog post for floral top

msschiel said...
I love the version you made for yourself! The bright colors and contrast neckline look fabulous!
7/9/14 6:49 AM
Danmar said...
I like your trim :)
6/16/14 6:40 AM
msschiel said...
I like the look of your top, I may have to remember that for when I make mine. I have a muslin cut out of this, but haven't finished it yet. Nice looking outfit!
6/15/14 6:46 PM