PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 1609 (Misses Dress)

Reviewed by:Marie-Claude

Simplicity Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
Fabric:Polyester Woven  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:
Misses' sleeveless, modern 1960's A-line dress has center font seam, fitting darts and back zipper. Choose scalloped collar, neck bow or round neckline. 2 Main pattern pieces. Simplicity Jiffy sewing pattern.

I made view A.

Pattern Sizing:
I made a size 16, with no adjustments. I was tempted to go for a 14 as I expected the dress to be wide, but good thing I read the other reviews before I started! The fit is perfect around the bust area, but there's not much ease around the hips. My fabric stretches so it's not uncomfortable nor does it look too tight, but if your fabric doesn't stretch, you might want to add room around the hips.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yeah, I think so!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I thought they were. The collar was a bit fiddly, and constructing this dress took me much more time than I expected from a 'jiffy' collection of patterns. I also had to stitch & rip (rinse, repeat) my invisible zipper a couple of times before I got it (sort of) right.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the style! I look like a school girl wearing it, but I don't care! It's cute, it's versatile, and it's a great dress for the office, both for summer and for winter (with a cardigan).

Fabric Used:
Some mystery polyester (blend?) fabric that's sort of ribbed, like a tiny corduroy (but it's not corduroy). It has a bit of stretch. It's a bit stiff, which helps the dress hold its shape. For the collar, I used a cotton blend I've had in my stash for eons.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
None. I opted for an invisible zipper, solely because that's what I had in my stash at the time and didn't want to buy another zipper.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
It's a very distinctive design, so I might not sew view A again (with the collar), but I might try one of the other views eventually. But I do recommend it, as long as you pay attention to the width around the hips!

Conclusion:
Cute vintage re-issue, easy to sew. The collar might be a bit fiddly for beginners.
craft keeper said...
Adorable! Thanks for the review. I've got this in my stash, I may finally try it during the Pattern Stash Contest.
6/24/14 11:05 AM