Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8534 (MISSES' TOP)

Reviewed by:MicNanDec

Pattern Rating:Easy & Great for Beginners
Current Tags:
Fabric:Modal Blend Jersey Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:
Tops A, B have front pleats and kimono sleeve length variations. Top C has front darts, upper front extending into tie ends, inserted through loop, forming bow. A, B, C: unfinished neck edge.
Pattern Sizing:
Size range from 6-22. I made View A, size 22. I probably could have gone down to size 20, but tops like this I like to wear on the large size.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, it did.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
I had no trouble understanding the instructions. This is also a very straightforward top to sew.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like how easy of a top it is to sew. You can complete it in a few hours. What I didn't like about it was the unfinished neckline the top called for. I felt it looked messy and chose to finish it with a bias tape. The bias tape both finished the neckline and gave the top some support around the neck so it wouldn't fall off my shoulders.
Fabric Used:
a linen/modal knit that is super-soft. I found it on the clearance table at Jo-Ann's. Unfortunately, it is also really thin and a bit transparent.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Added a bias tape to the neckline to give it a finished look and to provide some structure, but other than that it is sewn as is.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes and Yes! I hope to make the View C with the bow.
Conclusion:
I really love how soft this fabric is but it is a bit to transparent to wear without a camisole or something underneath. It is however perfect for a nightshirt. It's also one of those patterns that I didn't have to do any modifications to (such as a FBA), so that makes me happy. If I make View A again, I would want to try something different for the neckline. I'm not a big fan of "raw edge" clothes.

by: yummymummy...