Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 4478 (Infants' Hat)

Reviewed by:SewLoca

McCall's: 4478 by SewLoca  McCall's: 4478 by SewLoca
Pattern Photo:McCall's 4478
McCall's Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Easy & Great for Beginners
See other patterns in this category: Baby clothes
Available for sale on PR: $14.95 (See envelope) Click to Buy
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Cotton - Quilting  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: Infant's Hats: package includes patterns and instructions to make eight lined hats (bonnets and bucket hats) offered in 5 sizes from newborn-18" to X-Large - 20"

Pattern Sizing:head circumference 18"-20"

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes it did

Were the instructions easy to follow? I purchased this pattern at a local thrift shop for $.50, the pattern was uncut and I made sure the instruction sheet was inside...BUT the sheet for the hat I wanted to make was MISSING! Some of the other hats were similar so I just followed those instructions. I really didn't need them anyhow, this was a simple project.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? What I liked...NO INTERFACING REQUIRED! This is an easy project but I found it strange that there was one pattern piece for the main fabric and 3 separate pattern pieces for the lining. The 3 lining pieces were within a rectangle, that I'm assuming was supposed to be placed on the fabric but they were spread apart and I just don't like to waste fabric. The pattern pieces for the lining and main fabric are exactly the same so I guess they could have marked one pattern: cut 6 main and cut 6 lining.I also liked the ribbon to cover up/hide the "raw" edges. I just tacked at each seam, easy!

Fabric Used:cotton quilting

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:I wasn't sure how to finish the seam of the hat brim, so I did a French seam so it wouldn't look "raw" on the underside.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?Yes. I would recommend, it's a fast project and it came handy for a quick and cute gift for a sweet little boy. I wish I could have gotten a pic of him modeling it but he wanted to look at the sock monkeys instead of wearing it! He is one yr old and I. Made the XL which was a little big but at least he can grow into it.

Conclusion: I read other reviews before sewing this project, a tip that was helpful for me that someone made was regarding the "dots", to start sewing from the dot which was near the tip/top of the hat piece. These hats are really cute and they can be embellished with piping, ruffles, lace, etc.
Available for sale on PR: $14.95 (See envelope)Click to Buy

Pj3g said...
Cute hat for a little guy!
6/25/14 10:13 PM