Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review

Advanced Search
returns & refunds
testimonials
Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
PCM Sew, Quilt, Embroidery Expo - San Mateo (Sewing Expo Review)
California, UNITED STATES
expos reviewed: 1
Posted on: 2/27/06 10:41 PM
Rating: starstar
Web site/URL: photo
The PCM Expo in San Mateo last weekend featured Cynthia Guffey and Kathy Ruddy with garment classes, and many quilt and embroidery sessions. I went for the opportunity to attend Cynthia Guffey's classes, as San Mateo is a lot closer than Baton Rouge for a Northern Californian!

This is a small expo, smaller than the Reno PCM of last summer, but well worth attending. The vendor hall featured primarily quilting fabrics (some beautiful ones!), but for garment sewers the interest lay more in the notions vendors and sewing machine/serger dealers. Decades of Style was represented and Unique Patterns had a scanning service there, as well.

Frankly, I prefer these smaller shows to some of the larger ones, as I can focus on an instructor and get the most from a variety of her classes. I was able to attend 8 of Cynthia Guffey's 9 classes and learn an enormous amount. She is a gifted instructor with a clear and concise delivery and a great sense of style and humor.

The cost of this show is very reasonable: entry is $6 for one day; $13 for 3 days (with a $1 off coupon, available at the door). Each class session costs only $8--a bargain for an hour of close-up-and-personal instruction. There are also several free 1-hour fashion shows and many vendor demos.

A group of us attended all or most of Cynthia Guffey's classes (Guffey Groupies?); she knew us all by name and made it personal experience. We got to know each other, too. We were only surprised that so few garment sewers (the Bay area is BIG) attended. Maybe next time -

I recommend the PCM shows, small but a good value for the money. Excellent opportunity to get to know instructors and vendors. I did make off with a Janome Decor 3050 at a good show price. Of course, one feels an obligation to support the vendors who sponsor the show, no?
Victoria Jones Collection
Made In Australia

<< Previous Next >>

Add Sewing Expo Review    Read All Sewing Expo Reviews

10Ksteps said...
This is good news for I, too, would like to see more in California. I don't know Cynthia Guffey, but I will immediately check her out. I will definitely add this expo to my list of places to attend in the future. I am on my way to Puyallup so I will be able to compare a large expo with a small one next year. Thanks for your review.
2/28/06 1:51 AM
Dori Lonero said...
I read your review of the San Mateo PCM. I think I will attend next time. I recently got back into sewing and have become passionate about it. Are you aware of sewing groups in the bay area that meet share ideas and thier creations. I feel like such a loner in my sewing room all the time. I'd love to meet more sewers. Dorilonero@aol.com
5/26/07 8:18 PM

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us