Tips & Techniques > emergency substitute for machine embroidery

Reviews: 61 (tips: 4)
Posted on: 9/4/06 10:37 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people   Very Helpful by 7 people
Web site/URL: photo
As part of the preparation for my daughter's recent wedding, she requested that I personalize her "spa" outfit, a two-piece terry cloth outfit that she had bought from Vicky's Secret. (A spa outfit, I found out, is for doing hair and makeup before putting on the big dress). At the last minute my embroidery machine refused to cooperate. "Do SOMETHING!" she wailed.

In desperation I found some stencil letters used for a school project, about 1" high, and proceeded to cut them out of a cotton/lycra knit, backing them with a fusible applique I had bought from Sew Baby. I then satin-stitched them onto the outfit. Much to my surprise, they came out even better than the embroidery would have, I think, kind of bold and in-your-face. As you can see from the picture, she is quite satisfied.

I'm sure this is an obvious tip to many, but it sure works in a pinch and I'm keeping those letters on hand!

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

6 Comments
nancy2001 said... (9/5/06 8:47 PM) Reply
What a creative solution. Necessity really is the mother of invention.
ginaT said... (9/5/06 8:18 PM) Reply
Thats looks so now..... and really professional.Your DD looks so happy too.When's her big day?
AnneM said... (9/5/06 3:00 PM) Reply
Great job!
Rhoda K said... (9/5/06 11:13 AM) Reply
Ditto to the comments above, I don't have an EB machine either. Looks good.
Stilltheone said... (9/5/06 8:49 AM) Reply
Great idea! I'm glad your daughter was pleased. Good tip for me as I don't have an emb. machine.
OP Gal said... (9/5/06 8:48 AM) Reply
My machine doesn't have embroidery capability, so this tip will be very useful for me. Thanks for the tip.

Victoria Jones Collection Pattern 205

Victoria Jones Collection Pattern 205

You Sew Girl Panel Bag

You Sew Girl Panel Bag

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.