Tips & Techniques > Vizqueen, Pink Sharpie & Rubbing Alcohol

Member since: 8/18/04
Reviews: 9 (tips: 1)
Posted on: 9/10/06 8:55 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people   Very Helpful by 5 people
I purchased some plastic sheeting 3 ML (also referred to as Vizqueen) to use as tracing paper after reading this tip on PR and was marking the plastic with my pink sharpie (another tip on PR) when I realized that I made a big error in the tracing. At first, I thought I would throw out the vizqueen and start again but then I decided to try some rubbing alcohol to remove the sharpie markings from the plastic and it worked! So, not only does alcohol remove it from rulers, it also removes it from the plastic.

Another good reason to use this vizqueen is that my favorite patternweight (my cat) had an unfortunate "hairball" accident right on top of my pattern but since it was the vizqueen and not paper, it wiped right up with no damage.

<< Previous    Next >>

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

carolrv said... (7/22/10 9:10 AM) Reply
I have been using alcohol to remove sharpie markings on food containers for a long time. I know, I should be writing on masking tape to label my tupperware! But many times I am impatient...
Nancywin said... (9/13/06 11:52 PM) Reply
Thanks for the rubbing alcohol tip. Why is it that cats love to sleep on our sewing?
Gladys said... (9/12/06 5:36 AM) Reply
Patti B, it did not dissolve the plastic - maybe due to its thickness (3ML). Merry G, I just liked the pink better than a basic black and maybe it ended up being easier to erase, don't know - it's definitely prettier!
Merry G said... (9/11/06 8:02 PM) Reply
What was the pink sharpie tip...I missed that one...maybe you could post it again...thanks sew much
Patti B said... (9/11/06 9:57 AM) Reply
Great! Glad it didn't disolve the plastic. I already use the alcohol to clean gunk off serger blades, now there's another sewing use for it.
kathi s said... (9/11/06 1:43 AM) Reply
Great tip- your cat reminds me of one we had. When he had to "gak" up a hair ball he run for our Navajo rug which seemed to have some sort of charm for him.
christine A said... (9/10/06 4:28 PM) Reply
That is too funny about your cat. Thanks for the tip.
jessika said... (9/10/06 2:39 PM) Reply
How funny about your cat haveing the hairball. My cat loves when I'm cutting out a material piece to sit on what i'm doing and give it love as though he's helping me. Cats are intresting. Thanks for the tip.
Susan M said... (9/10/06 1:47 PM) Reply
Thanks for the info. I needed the reminder on alcohol and sharpie pens. This will save me a lot of grief.

Pattern Work
Pattern Work

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Victoria Jones Collection Pattern 205

Victoria Jones Collection Pattern 205

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.