Online Sewing Class: Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Reviews: 2 (tips: 1)
Posted on: 12/20/06 2:58 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 6 people   Very Helpful by 18 people
Featured in the PR book!
One of the best ways I have found to mark darts, button placement, etc. is to use a hole punch. You just punch a hole in the pattern at the place where you need to make a mark. Then you can make a dot with your chalk through the hole without ever shifting the pattern.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

11 Comments
ryansmumAria said... (8/12/07 5:13 PM) Reply
This works well! Before I punch a hole, I cover it with clear tape which makes it easier, then I fold the pattern in half and punch it half way only.
Jewell said... (1/29/07 7:12 PM) Reply
What great common sense!!! Can't wait to try this!
Janime said... (1/24/07 1:33 PM) Reply
I must be more of a conformist than I thought. I thought of doing something like this at one point and decided that there must be some reason I shouldn't. So thanks for the tip, and for reminding me that it's perfectly right to follow those "outside the box" notions.
LindaMM said... (1/20/07 11:59 PM) Reply
Great tip! Thank you!
Cera said... (1/11/07 5:14 PM) Reply
I do this as well, I find it a very effective way to mark. The pattern companies used to this years ago, all my vintage patterns from the 1930's have punched holes, which enabled the sewer to mark with chalk, or tailor tack easily. I use an awl to punch tiny holes, working like a charm!
said... (12/27/06 2:28 PM) Reply
I'm going to give that a try!
Kim Winson said... (12/21/06 7:46 PM) Reply
Brilliant. Wish I had thought of it. Thanks!
Miss Fairchild said... (12/21/06 11:44 AM) Reply
Mary, the pattern companies used to do this; I remember that time long ago...Maybe it's cheaper for them now to not do it.
Mary Stiefer said... (12/21/06 10:55 AM) Reply
I, too, have used this method of marking. I wonder why the pattern companies can't do this when they make the patterns???
ryan's mom said... (12/21/06 6:19 AM) Reply
Great idea!!!
Donna H said... (12/20/06 5:33 PM) Reply
It goes to show you that some of the most difficult jobs can be accomplished with "no brainer" type answers! Thanks.

Islander Sewing Systems Renaissance Cape Pattern Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Renaissance Cape Pattern Pattern

Victoria Jones Collection Pattern 101

Victoria Jones Collection Pattern 101

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.