Tips & Techniques > Ribbing [alternative] for sleeve wrist

Reviews: 161 (tips: 68)
Posted on: 1/25/07 8:19 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people   Very Helpful by 33 people
Web site/URL: photo
I made a fleece 'house jacket' some time ago, for winter evenings at home, but didn't wear it much, because it wasn't as warm as a sweater. The let cool air go up my sleeve at the wrist. One easy solution...a cuff or band made from ribbing, on the wrist.

I didn't have any ribbing that would look good with the red fleece, but I suddenly remembered a pair of fuzzy red socks I'd worn once, then threw in the back of a drawer, because they were too small for my feet.

I cut the ribbed top off of the sock, and sewed a 3-step zigzag stitch about 1/2" from the cut edge [.5mm length, 4mm width], to stop the knit from running. Then I trimmed close to the stitching.

Last, I attached the cut edge to the bottom of the sleeve, stretching the ribbing to match the sleeve edge. I used a narrow zigzag stitch [2mm length, .5mm width]. This really looks more like a normal straight stitch, but allows for a little stretch.

The adult-size socks were the perfect size for adult wrist ribbing. Child-size socks would be the perfect size for children's wrist ribbing. I used the full length of the sock's ribbing, then when wearing, turned it back to form a cuff.

I just love the way this turned out [see photo link above], and that I'm getting some use out of the like-new-but-ten-year-old socks. I just realized...I have a sock stash! :)

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

Rainer said... (11/11/12 11:07 PM) Reply
Great idea ! Pic isn't showing up tho..big red x for the pic now.
DSJG said... (9/1/08 9:28 AM) Reply
Great idea to use socks for ribbing ribbing & I thought your bird having a mini quilt was one of the cutest things I've ever heard.
woggy said... (2/5/07 11:59 AM) Reply
Great idea - could probably add this type of ribbing to the top of fleece booties - which I plan on doing!
Sherry said... (1/30/07 3:04 AM) Reply
What a miraculous idea! That is a keeper.
Alice near Atlanta said... (1/28/07 12:21 PM) Reply
WOW! Now I know how to finish off that fleece robe fabric that I was going to make before Xmas. That was the part that I hadn't figured out. S0---I think I'll check out Dollar Tree for really cheap socks and maybe find complimentary colors for the three unsewn, lol, Christmas presents. I'll be looking for your other posts to this site.
frame said... (1/27/07 6:48 PM) Reply
Very clever.
Jackie M said... (1/27/07 0:01 AM) Reply
Ardis, you crack me up. What a great idea! You find great ways to reuse things for your sewing projects. Waste not, want not!
AnneM said... (1/26/07 2:02 PM) Reply
Since the bottoms of socks wear out before the tops, this is a great recycling idea.
Cloud9 said... (1/26/07 1:38 PM) Reply
Love it, love it, love it. You are most resourseful, Ardis. I, too, have a stash of socks that now can be put to good use. Years ago I bought ready-made cuffs (only came in black) by Dritz but, sadly to say, Joanne's and Hancocks no longer sells them. I sewed them on to the sleeve lining of all my coats and jackets--what a difference in warmth of the coat with the cuffs added. Thank you again, Aridis.
Heidi H said... (1/26/07 12:04 PM) Reply
I just heard about this a week ago, great idea, don't tell my daughter, she is making shirts for our dogs and they need ribbing and I don't have any LOL
Linda G said... (1/26/07 10:02 AM) Reply
You are so resourceful....I like your thought process....
krystalkaes said... (1/26/07 9:43 AM) Reply
fatbaby said... (1/26/07 9:10 AM) Reply
This is an awesome idea. Thanks sew much. I have used ribbed tanks and cut them to "fill in the"v" of a shirt when it is cut to deep into my chest area...ughh who wants to see a size "a cup" cleavage! heheh
Lorna C. Newman said... (1/26/07 8:52 AM) Reply
As a mother of 2 who are have socks with holes in the toe, this gives me a great supply of rib cuffs! GREAT IDEA!
Andee said... (1/26/07 7:47 AM) Reply
Oh Yeah! great idea.
Mary Stiefer said... (1/25/07 11:13 PM) Reply
Lordy girl - you just crack me up with all of your wonderful ideas. This is truly a great one. Love it.
Donna H said... (1/25/07 10:15 PM) Reply
This is a really great tip. Thanks Ardis. I would never have thought of it and yes, I too, have a sock stash!!! I could replace some old cuffs on sweatshirts with color matching sock cuffs. Again, great idea! Thanks
OP Gal said... (1/25/07 8:16 PM) Reply
How clever! Thanks for a great tip.
carolynw said... (1/25/07 5:57 PM) Reply
Great idea
regine said... (1/25/07 3:19 PM) Reply
That is so clever - thanks for the great tip
Rhoda K said... (1/25/07 3:13 PM) Reply
Great idea!
Kathy_AZ said... (1/25/07 9:52 AM) Reply
What a clever idea!

Jackets for Real People DVD

Jackets for Real People DVD

Islander Sewing Systems Moebius Scarf Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Moebius Scarf Pattern

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.