Tips & Techniques > Inexpensive sewing table

Member since: 8/25/06
Reviews: 12 (tips: 1)
Posted on: 2/12/07 10:53 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people   Very Helpful by 7 people
I've been in search of a sewing table and realize I can't justify the high price that comes along with the ones I really wanted (L-shaped to accomodate two machines). One day while perusing my area's, I came across a great L-shape desk for sale for $60.00.

The shape is perfect for my sewing room, and the corner piece even has an elevated shelf to fit my little TV. It came with a shelving hutch, perfect for books and misc. supplies. The downside is there is no built in storage for notions and patterns, but for $60, I'm okay with this. My thought is to buy some rollaway Rubbermaid that'll fit under the desk.

As I continue to check craigslist, I find this type of desk is constantly available and for prices from $35 to $100, depending on the seller. I'd recommend this setup if you don't worry about the bells and whistles, but you just need a nice big sewing area to accomodate a machine/serger, etc!

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

ledreyfus said... (3/16/07 11:02 PM) Reply
I've been thinking about an L-shaped desk for my new, smaller work area. Craig's List is a great idea! I find the plastic drawers on wheels which are often on sale at Target, Walmart, etc. can fit (without the wheels) under my current table. They're cheap & come in so many sizes. Measure before you buy! You'll get a customized sewing table for very little $$.
dede519 said... (2/13/07 6:49 PM) Reply
thanks for the tip, i too would love a sewing table w/all the bells & whistles but is not feasible right now. I check craigslist tonight, thanks again.
Nicoal said... (2/13/07 6:04 PM) Reply
Love that idea, slt! Thanks and now I'm on a mission to find a nightstand that matches my L-shaped desk.
slt said... (2/13/07 2:05 PM) Reply
I bought a little nightstand that has a drawer and a little door that closes to hide the notions and threads I put in there. I went to the hardware store and bought casters that I screwed to the bottom. It matched my table which is why I bought it. Just an idea. I bought both my table and nightstand at Ikea since I also couldn't find a system that fit my budget. The nightstand rolls around to fit either under the table or to the side. Just an idea if you find a used drawer unit but want rolling casters on the bottom.
OP Gal said... (2/13/07 8:55 AM) Reply
Great idea!

J Stern Designs The Hobo Bag Pattern

J Stern Designs The Hobo Bag Pattern

Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.