Tips & Techniques > removable crotch piece for tape measure

Member since: 7/6/03
Reviews: 6 (tips: 5)
Posted on: 3/14/07 10:26 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people   Very Helpful by 4 people
I lost my favorite tape measure, and didn't realize until the afternoon I was to measure five people for costumes. It was the only one I owned with the stiff plastic on the end for measuring inseams. I needed one now and wasn't going to the store.

I hammered the female half of a snap onto the tape measure, around the two inch mark. I cut a piece of plastic from a bleach bottle, about two by five inches, and attatched the male half of the snap in the center. I snapped the tape measure to the plastic, and trimmed the end of the plastic to align with the end of the tape, and rounded the corners.

The female snap doesn't interfere with measuring smallish things, (like skinny wrists) and when I needed to measure inseams, just snapped the plastic piece on.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

2 Comments
Nancywin said... (3/21/07 10:13 AM) Reply
I've never seen this type of measure, but I like the idea. It certainly protects the modesty of your clients.
chip1980 said... (3/15/07 1:53 PM) Reply
Necessity is the mother of invention....and you proved it once again. Measure on.... Congrats on making do with what you had. Marcia (chip1980)

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

You Sew Girl 90mm Barrel Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 90mm Barrel Purse Pattern

De-Mystifying Fit - A CD Book

De-Mystifying Fit - A CD Book

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.