Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review

Advanced Search
returns & refunds
testimonials
Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
Sewing with Fleece 101 (Tip/Technique)
Review rated Helpful by 4 people   Very Helpful by 16 people
Posted by: salruss
About salruss star
LA USA
Member since: 6/16/07
tips added: 6
Posted on: 3/29/08 3:09 PM
Featured in the PR book!
These are all the things I learned while sewing yards and yards and yards of fleece this Christmas:

1. Spend money on good fleece. Splurge on anti-pill. (Note: the pilling doesn't damage the fabric, but it certainly isn't attractive.)

2. Most fleece can be used on either side. If you really want to know, you can determine the right side by pulling along the selvage. The fabric curls toward the right side. (According to one website, you can also find the right side by sprinkling water on 2 different areas on either side of the fabric. The side that wicks the water the fastest is the right side. )

Because I cut my fleece without determining which side was which, I used that water test. And sure enough, the water soaks in quickly on one side and just rolls off the other. As this is a bath robe, I used the side that soaked in the water as the wrong (inside) side.

3. Once you know the right side, MARK IT!!! I marked, marked, marked. I made sure that I marked the wrong side of every piece.

4. Fleece has a nap! Follow the layout on that pattern guideline.

5. Use a zig-zag stitch or a serger. When I used a straight stitch, I sat my stitch length on 3.0 (is this in mm or what, I really don't know).

6. I used a size 14 ball point needle and it worked like a charm.

7. If pressing is necessary, use a cool iron and a pressing cloth. I set my iron on the poly setting, but it was a little too warm. Thankfully, I was using a pressing cloth. After I turned it down to a little below half-way, it worked well.

To see some the goodies, I made and more of my fleece experiences, click here.
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Thank You for Joining!

<< Previous Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

Stitchcakes said...
Thanks for this! I, too, learned after washing my first piece of fleece to buy better quality or it will pill. I'm all about Malden Mills now. My sewing teacher suggested marking the wrong side of every piece with an X using a bar soap scrap. I just guessed which side was 'wrong', but now I know how to check!
3/30/08 11:21 AM
Stitchology said...
Thanks for the tip about water. From now on the wrong side will be the right side so I can wear fleece in the rain.
3/30/08 12:02 PM
squirrellypoo said...
thanks! I didn't know it had a right side!
4/2/08 12:10 PM

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us