Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review

Advanced Search
returns & refunds
testimonials
Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
Victoria Sewing annd Crafts Show (Sewing Expo Review)
British Columbia, CANADA
expos reviewed: 3
Posted on: 3/30/08 9:15 PM
Rating: starstarstar
Web site/URL: photo
This was the 16th annual Victoria Sewing Show. The organizers do another show a week later near Vancouver BC. I have only been to the Victoria Show. I have lost track of how many shows I have been to, not all of them but most.

The show officially starts on a Friday, but pre-show workshops are offered on Thursday.

I will review the classes under class reviews.

I am not a quilter and even though the majority of the exhibitors were geared to quilting, I found lots to interest me.

All the major brands of machine were there to try out except Brother. I do not think there are any Brother Dealers on Vancouver Is. I am coveting an embroidery machine and would have bought an entry level one this year (except my dog has hurt herself and needs surgery).

I got to try out a variety of machines, Huskystar EM10 ($499.00 software included), Phaff Smart 300e ($499.00), Phaff Creative 2134 ($2299.00 Smart Station and Card included) and the Janome 11000 (about $5200.00 demo machine or $6500.00 new in box with a Dell Laptop).

Ce. Podolak, Trudy Jansen, Jan Bones and Linda MacPhee were there with their patterns. Gala Fabrics had beautiful fabric for garment sewers and The Material Girls has Sewing Workshop patterns, Sandra Betzina's DVD's and Batik Butik fabrics.

For Embroiderers there were 2 or three booths with threads, and one fellow with designs to buy.

Debra Justice had her booth with heirloom supplies. And A Great Notion had books and many notions and supplies that are not usually available locally.

At least three booths has yarn, some hand dyed and some novelty.

70 plus seminars covered everything from fitting to quilling, knitting to quilting.

One instructor was unable to come due to illness, but other instructors filled the gap. I was registered in two of the classes, and was satisfied with the replacements.

I would love it if some of the bigger indy pattern makers came to our show. Trudy at Hot Patterns, Jalie, Louise Cutting etc, please come next year.

I would also love to see more younger sewers at the show. At 42 I am one of the young ones, and I have been going for over 10 years. Julie G was there and she is much younger than me, but probably 40 years younger than most the attendees.
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs

<< Previous Next >>

Add Sewing Expo Review    Read All Sewing Expo Reviews

tweedcurtain said...
Michelle, I also noticed the demographic of attendees was older and was alarmed to realize I am getting up there myself! The show was much better this year than last. It was nice to meet a bunch of other PR folks, too - thanks for organizing the dinner!
3/31/08 5:09 PM
Athene said...
Great review Michelle. I too noticed that there were not many young people at the show. It was a good show and Gala fabrics had some nice stuff.It was nice to meet the other PR members at the dinner and it was wonderful to see Chris S. in her woolen jacket V2884 that she had sewn for the wool contest earler this year. Thank you for organizing the dinner - I had a good time.
3/31/08 6:56 PM
Julie G said...
I don't think most of the women were in their 70's ;) But probably the majority were 50-70. I agree it would be nice to see more younger sewers. I have finally met a couple women younger than me who like to sew, but hardly know any between my age (31) and my mom's (51). I did have a great time though, and it was great to meet you all at dinner! I'd really like to take the jeans class with Ron Collins next year, and am looking forward to working with my new paper tape form.
4/3/08 10:26 PM
l3designs said...
I've attended the Vancouver Show for a number of years. This year there were fewer vendors that the past few. And I too would like to see some younger attendees... Maybe one year I'll have to head to Victoria for the show...
6/18/09 2:48 AM

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us