Tips & Techniques > getting a knit binding the right length

Reviews: 5 (tips: 5)
Posted on: 4/14/08 3:48 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people   Very Helpful by 14 people
Featured in the PR book!
I was having trouble getting my self bindings the right length on some of my knit tees as all the knits had different degrees of stretch. Now I have started cutting a strip that is longer than my neck opening rather than measuring and pinning it around the neck stretching slightly as I go around the curves. If the knit has lots of recovery I pull more as I pin in the front ,shoulders and curves. I mark on the strip when I reach the back neck center of the garment and this is where I make a seam and trim the excess. Then I stitch the band on. On mine I roll to the inside,coverstitch and trim but have also stitched in the ditch and trimmed with success. Since I started doing this I have not had any roll to the outside from being too long or pucker from being too tight so it has been a big help to me. Perhaps this is not the best way but works for me so thought I would share it. Best of all I am not having to figure out with each garment how long to cut the strip and messing up my tee or tank.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

8 Comments
Patti B said... (10/1/10 9:35 AM) Reply
Brilliant. You can't always use a formula for binding lengths since the stretch varies so much -- great solution.
carolrv said... (7/5/10 5:42 AM) Reply
I haven't been able to find ribbing anywhere in retail fabric stores, so it's self bindings for me. Good tip!
lovenicky said... (12/11/09 8:33 AM) Reply
Thanks so much. I love sewing with knits but have the same trouble as you with the self binding neck/arm hold. I will try this next time.
chloeE said... (4/6/09 12:10 PM) Reply
GREAT tip, like that "no measuring thing" thanks!!
mssewcrazy said... (4/15/08 8:44 PM) Reply
I hope it helps someone else. Before I started doing this, I was stressing out trying to figure out how many inches or measuring the neck carefully and the amount was still wrong. Now I just cut a strip and start pinning. If a knit has lots of stretch I pull a bit more but if it's stable I pull just a little. I may mess up the next one but so far the self bindings are laying nicely as they should. I have sewed a long time but never fooled with knits a lot until recently.
Susan M said... (4/15/08 3:30 PM) Reply
I could visualize exactly what you described. This makes a lot of sense.
fryman said... (4/15/08 3:10 PM) Reply
I like this straight forward application. Thanks
JenSews2 said... (4/15/08 0:35 AM) Reply
Thanks! I'll try this next time!

Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.