Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Member since: 4/8/02
Reviews: 68 (tips: 18)
Posted on: 5/8/08 8:02 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 6 people   Very Helpful by 11 people
From time to time, the subject of shoes comes up on PR, so I feel somewhat justified in including this suggestion.

I have impoverished myself over the years, buying heel guards and various kinds of shoe inserts in an often vain attempt to make a Medium shoe feel like a Narrow or keep my foot from sliding too far forward in shoes and sandals. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. When I need just a little bit of beefing up in the heel or under the ball of my foot, ultrasuede is often just the right thickness. I cut it out using Dr. Scholl's (or other brands) as a pattern, tape the ultrasuede in place to check fit and placement, then cement it into the shoe when I know it's where I want it to be. They're cheaper and less bulky than commercial shoe thingies (technical term.) Save those scraps!

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

18 Comments
OP Gal said... (12/6/08 10:05 PM) Reply
Hey, I just saw this and it sounds like a winner to me! I, too, frequently find myself trying to force a Medium shoe to fit like a Narrow. Those heel thingies just rub blisters and push my foot further forward, not back, so while they work in theory, they never work in fact for me. This sounds like the perfect solution to my need for something in the back of my shoes to keep the heel from slipping. Once again, you've come to my rescue, Karla. Thanks!
Karla Kizer said... (5/21/08 9:24 PM) Reply
Sorry, Quathy, I haven't a clue.
quathy said... (5/21/08 1:33 PM) Reply
What a great idea! Do you also happen to know if this would prevent socks from falling down?
Cecile Owens said... (5/21/08 2:00 AM) Reply
Your tip might just do the trick for me. I have a pair or size 7 Narrow shoes that are slip ons and the back part does not stay on my foot when I walk so maybe the ultrasuede will work. Great idea!!! Thanks
SandrineQ said... (5/20/08 12:37 PM) Reply
Thank you for sharing! What a great and useful idea.
darcidoodle said... (5/16/08 11:33 AM) Reply
From one skinny foot to another -- thank you SO MUCH!
Boatlady said... (5/14/08 5:03 PM) Reply
What a handy tip! Thank you. I like the idea of using a sinlge layer inside "sticky" shoes.
Karla Kizer said... (5/13/08 8:41 PM) Reply
Jean, I should emphasize that when you need thick inserts, ultrasuede might not do it for you, though I have successfully used two layers of it in the heel. The reason I like to use it is that it is thin enough to narrow the heel a bit without forcing my foot too far forward in the shoe the way some of the thicker store-bought ones do. Try multiple layers and see if it works for you.
jeanharville said... (5/13/08 8:51 AM) Reply
thanks for such a creative tip. It's a foot saver for me. I too have narrow feet and especially heels. Like you I have spent a fortune trying to make shoes fit. Maybe that's in the past now.
Linda G said... (5/12/08 1:13 PM) Reply
Great idea, I find it harder and harder to get narrow shoes.
utz said... (5/9/08 9:43 PM) Reply
Great tip - from this narrow-heeled gal. Without an insert high heels on me flap up and down like flip flops. I'll use this idea - thanks!
Patzee said... (5/9/08 4:59 PM) Reply
Huh. I bet this would work well for dressing up those cheap rubber/plastic flip-flops!
jbrewer said... (5/9/08 2:28 PM) Reply
I agree with Jhansby. I once glued a scrap to go under my heel on a pair of sandals. It prevented that "suction-y" sound that occurs when your bare foot pulls away from the shoe as you walk. Silent feet!
SusiM said... (5/9/08 10:33 AM) Reply
good tip! thanks
jhansby said... (5/9/08 9:10 AM) Reply
great idea! Made me think that these would also make nice liners for those shoes that are "sticky" inside...when you don't want to wear hose/socks, they would make the inside nice and soft like a leather/suede lined shoe...
Sarah J Doyle said... (5/8/08 5:13 PM) Reply
Great information - something I also need to try. Thanks
Karla Kizer said... (5/8/08 12:19 PM) Reply
cindyann, isn't that what lycra/powernet is for? ;-)
cindyann said... (5/8/08 11:05 AM) Reply
What a great tip! Also a great use of small Ultrasuede scraps. I'm sure the narrow footed gals can use this. Unfortunately, I am of Hobbit ancestry, hairy toes included. Can you wrap ultrasuede tightly around the foot to make it fit into B width shoes? {snicker}

Islander Sewing Systems Men's City Western Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's City Western Shirt Pattern

Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.