Tips & Techniques > Unpicking heavy/jeans topstitching for re-use.

Posted by: Aless

About Aless star
SA Australia
Member since: 11/29/02
Reviews: 14 (tips: 6)
Posted on: 8/14/08 6:02 AM
I've had the dubious 'pleasure' of doing this twice recently, and have been salvaging the original thread as I go, because there was not a good replacement thread match.

I was worried about breaking the threads as I eased them out with the stem of my quick unpick tool. So I started using a thin wooden satay/shaslik skewer ( about 6 inches/15cms long) which I use for easing fabric under the machine needle. I have sharpened the stick so that the point has a TINY flat bit -like a chisel- that I then push under the topstitched stitch, before lifting the stitch and pushing the stem of the stick under the lifted stitch. Then I roll the stick with my fingers, easing the stitch out at the same time. As the stick is smooth and round, I have had no worries about breaking the thread when using this method. It is just as fast as using the unpicking tool, maybe even faster, once you get the rhythm.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

Bernie R. said... (8/15/08 12:03 PM) Reply
Great idea!

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.