Tips & Techniques > Tilt your machine

Reviews: 13 (tips: 5)
Posted on: 9/13/08 1:44 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 7 people   Very Helpful by 18 people
Featured in the PR book!
To reduce neck and shoulder fatigue, I tilt my portable sewing machine by placing a 3 ring looseleaf office binder (mine is about 2 inches wide at the spine) under my machine. This forms a wedge that raises the bed of the machine up about two inches at an angle, increasing visibility. The front of the machine sits on the thin part of the wedge, and the back of the machine sits on or near the spine edge of the binder, or thickest part of the wedge. It doesn't slip or move, and I don't need to crane my neck or hunch over my work. Try it with any binder you have on hand (it doesn't have to be empty) and see if this tip eases neck tension and improves visibility while you sew.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

13 Comments
Basira said... (10/12/08 3:26 PM) Reply
Tilting the machine is a great idea. But the empty notebook makes the machine a bit wobbly.
Annette1 said... (9/16/08 12:56 PM) Reply
Great idea! I'm definitely going to give this a go. Thanks!
Gigil said... (9/15/08 2:13 PM) Reply
Kind of like what I do with my laptop. I've seen this tip before but haven't tried it. Will now.
shesflipped said... (9/15/08 1:14 PM) Reply
Great tip! Thanks so much for sharing it!
jeanharville said... (9/15/08 9:39 AM) Reply
Same thing works with a computer, you can tilt the screen in an angle away form you just like what you'er saying about the sewing machine. That will relieve the neck and back pain when you're on the computer.
woole bully said... (9/14/08 5:45 PM) Reply
what a great idea! can't wait to try it.
ryansmumAria said... (9/14/08 1:19 PM) Reply
Great idea! Thanks
Sharon1952 said... (9/14/08 12:32 PM) Reply
I have the same basic idea only I made mine out of 3 pieces of wood. It is absolutely amazing how it helps with next fatigue when you are doing lots of sewing.
PoppyB said... (9/14/08 6:49 AM) Reply
Too bad I didn't read this before spending the money I did on a commercial product that does the same thing. However, that was money well spent, and really eliminated the pain I was experiencing while doing intricate applique work for a very large art quilt. Tilting the machines (I do it for the serger, too) makes a big difference!
SusiM said... (9/14/08 0:19 AM) Reply
Hmmm..thanks. I'm going to try that.
glenj said... (9/13/08 7:09 PM) Reply
i agree with donna.rubber doorstops work well and don't slip
Melinda In Tulsa said... (9/13/08 12:12 PM) Reply
good tip, thanx!
Donna H said... (9/13/08 11:43 AM) Reply
I also heard that rubber doorstops work well. Thanks.

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

Maggie Paper Pattern

Maggie Paper Pattern

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.