Tips & Techniques > Make an Extra Large Thread Rack

Posted on: 11/12/08 4:58 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people   Very Helpful by 11 people
Web site/URL: photo
Featured in the PR book!
Make a Thread Rack with Peg board, dowels and wood glue from the hardware store!

It makes a sturdy hanging thread rack for holding serger style spools and smaller ones too. I used a dremel to cut the dowels and glued them on a slight angle. Cheaper than many, but not necessarily prettier. :)

Its on my blog:

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

9 Comments
MENJ said... (2/13/10 3:48 PM) Reply
Love the idea.
junem1 said... (12/5/08 3:18 PM) Reply
That is a great idea and more reasonable cost too. I used a shallow drawer (put corkboard in it), 3x4 ziplock baggies, pushpins and organize the spools and bobbins by color; it hangs on the wall; it works pretty good, too. I can find the color and bobbin easier.
JennasMommy said... (12/4/08 2:33 PM) Reply
What a wonderful idea! A great way to customize the rack to the size you need. Too bad I just ordered a 120 spool rack ;P. I'll have to try this once I fill up my current one. THANKS! ~~~~Mary
newlywedws said... (11/23/08 11:55 PM) Reply
What a fantastic idea to customise a spool rack!
2muchfabric said... (11/18/08 11:18 AM) Reply
Great Tip! Thanks for sharing your idea.
Sarah J Doyle said... (11/16/08 10:00 PM) Reply
Great idea - I have some pegboard also, and will get my husband to make one for me. Thanks.
glenj said... (11/14/08 4:36 PM) Reply
in sewing mode,functional always wins over prettier
loghome4 said... (11/14/08 12:10 PM) Reply
Love the do-it-yourself answer! I have some pegboard in the garage - I will try this!
quathy said... (11/13/08 6:45 PM) Reply
I bought one of those Sulky empty thread boxes - half price of $25 - and thought it was a good deal. It's nice for the little spools, and I've been looking for something similar for my larger spools and specialty threads. But, with your idea, I could make my own serger thread box, and just put the board in a plastic tub... Brilliant idea! Thanks!

Christine Jonson Pleat Front Dress

Christine Jonson Pleat Front Dress

You Sew Girl Panel Bag

You Sew Girl Panel Bag

Copyright © 2016 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.