Tips & Techniques > Repairing a Nylon Coil Zipper

Reviews: 19 (tips: 8)
Posted on: 12/18/08 3:11 PM
Web site/URL: photo
Featured in the PR book!
I can't tell you the number of times I accidently trimmed a zipper only to realize I had cut off the zipper pull. I then had to rip the zipper completely out, and hopefully find a new zipper in the correct color, or go to the store and purchase another zipper (this costs time, gas, and money). Well, it is possible to repair those now pull-less zippers. I sacrificed a pretty green zipper to show you how. You will need clippers or small scissors, a hemostat if you have one, and a pair of pliers. Follow the link above to see all 13 photos of the step by step process.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

patsijean said... (1/28/09 11:16 AM) Reply
Kathyking--It is good to practice on a spare zipper. And remember, you can always unzip if the lengths aren't correct and try again.
kathyking said... (1/27/09 6:06 PM) Reply
Very clear explanations and great photos! I'm tempted to mess up a zipper to try this technique!
Patzee said... (12/22/08 10:19 PM) Reply
Very helpful. Nice tutorial...Thanks!
patsijean said... (12/19/08 1:51 PM) Reply
SusanK. Thank you for your comment. The article was "Flatlining," a technique than results in a Hong Kong Finish. You will find it in THREADS Volume #42, Aug/Sept 1992, pages 58-59. The article in also included in THREADS book, Beyond The Pattern. Again, I was "gobstruck" that the editors were interested.
Patti B said... (12/19/08 9:38 AM) Reply
How cool! We have all done this and I almost did it again this week. Very helpful tutorial that I'm sure I'll use.
Vonnevo said... (12/19/08 6:21 AM) Reply
Many thanks for making and sharing this excellent tutorial :)
petro said... (12/19/08 1:36 AM) Reply
Thanks Patricia. I must try this, have generally given up on busted zips but this explanation is very clear.
SusanK said... (12/19/08 1:10 AM) Reply
Thanks, Patricia! Nice explaination and pix! You mention in your bio that you've published an article in THREADS. What was the article? When was it published? I'd love to read it. Thanks! Susan
erdmute said... (12/18/08 5:56 PM) Reply
This was really well explained and the pictures were excellent, thank you. I will try this technique for sure.
Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

All About Linings
All About Linings

Sewing Workshop New Yorker Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop New Yorker Jacket Pattern

SewBaby Snap Happy Booties Pattern

SewBaby Snap Happy Booties Pattern

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.