Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Member since: 1/30/03
Reviews: 156 (tips: 4)
Posted on: 5/2/09 6:57 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people   Very Helpful by 16 people
Apparently there was a tiny piece of Steam-a-Seam on my ironing board and I managed to press it quite firmly smack dab on the front of a sateen coat I'm making. Of course it pulled up some of the fibers from my white canvas board cover and made a big mess. YIKES!

The Steam-a-Seam manufacturer's page recommends using a citrus based cleaner like Desolve-It or CitraSolv, but that didn't get it to budge for me. So, after testing a fabric scrap to ensure colorfastness, I used a little rubbing alcohol applied with a q-tip and then used a toothbrush to rub it off. Worked like a charm! Thanks Debbie Lancaster for her original tip to use rubbing alcohol to remove interfacing adhesive. (ironically, the rubbing alcohol does not seem to have affected the interfacing that was on the back of the piece)

Whew!

<< Previous    Next >>

Home Sewing Depot

Home Dec Sewing Supplies

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

6 Comments
GwenC said... (6/13/10 9:52 PM) Reply
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You are a lifesaver! Well, at least a blouse-saver! ;)
HatBuddy said... (5/4/09 12:16 PM) Reply
Glad that simple alchohal worked for you. I have found that alcohal, baking soda, vinegar, Bi-o-Kleen and Quick N Brite have a whole bunch of uses! And are much safer for people and environmental health then the chemical potions (even the ones that have names to make us think the chemicals are environment and people safe). Can't beat the old traditional stand bys to get the job done! That reminds me I need to break out my alcohal and clean my board ! Got adhesive on it the last two sewing tasks I did.
Karla Kizer said... (5/4/09 7:20 AM) Reply
I think I'll print this out and tape it to the wall near my ironing board, so it's handy the *next* time it happens. And it will. Thanks, Leslie.
monijo said... (5/3/09 6:43 PM) Reply
I have successfully used paint thinner to remove a glue gun stain from the front of "silkie" blouse. Nothing would work. I tried that solution as a last resort. Christmas Eve night--rushing to complete decorations that had to be at Midnight Mass--no time to change.
nancy2001 said... (5/3/09 3:32 PM) Reply
Great tip, thanks.
MarilynB said... (5/3/09 6:54 AM) Reply
Thanks for a great tip. You have just eliminated much profanity in the sewing room.

Beyond the BoatNeck
Beyond the BoatNeck

Sewing Workshop Soho Coat Pattern

Sewing Workshop Soho Coat Pattern

SewBaby Five Easy Booties Pattern

SewBaby Five Easy Booties Pattern

Copyright © 2016 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.