Tips & Techniques > Rolled Hem Foot for Applying Rattail Cord

Member since: 12/27/04
Reviews: 11 (tips: 1)
Posted on: 5/20/09 0:21 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people   Very Helpful by 21 people
I needed to apply rattail cord to illusion to make my friend's wedding veil. This is not something I do often, so I wasn't thrilled with the idea of having to buy a special foot for the task.

Most machines probably come with a narrow rolled hem foot. Mine has a groove on the underside which was just the right size for the rattail cord to slide through. I fed the rattail cord through the part of the foot that would normally roll the fabric for the hem and used a pin to feed it through to the groove on the underside. Once it was fed through the foot, I installed the foot on my machine.

I used mono-filiment thread to apply the rattail cord with a straight stitch. I also positioned my needle slightly off center of the rattail. Stitching slightly off center caused the rattail to roll towards the stitching slightly rather than flatten right in the center. When done, I trimmed off the illusion from the outside edge of the veil very close to the rattail cord.

This worked beautifully. The illusion was gathering up or stretching out on the curves with other feed that I tried. But the rolled hem foot guided it perfectly under the needle and I was done within 5 minutes!

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

What a Stitch said... (9/19/09 4:10 PM) Reply
Thank you for taking the time to write this. It is just the help I was looking for.
Woolygal said... (5/26/09 7:19 AM) Reply
Thanks, great tip.
Laurasews said... (5/23/09 11:26 AM) Reply
Thanks everyone. I hope it works as well for you.
Sandra Mil said... (5/22/09 7:47 PM) Reply
It would have taken me 5 days of trial and error to come up with your solution! You are one innovative chic!
PVA said... (5/21/09 11:40 AM) Reply
Double Wow! Thanks for sharing this great idea! I'm going to give this a try today! I have some rattail & some organza on hand for a "making little bags" project & this sounds like something I'll remember if I actually do it! (Don't ask why I think I'll forget!)
SandyinMO said... (5/21/09 8:36 AM) Reply
I hope I can remember this if I ever have to do something similar. Thanks!
ryansmumAria said... (5/20/09 11:19 PM) Reply
Yvonski said... (5/20/09 4:13 AM) Reply
That's a great tip. Thanks

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.