Tips & Techniques > Four Step Buttonhole/Bartack First

Member since: 3/7/08
Reviews: 8 (tips: 1)
Posted on: 6/20/09 7:39 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people   Very Helpful by 16 people
Ignore the instructions in your owners manual and do the bartack first. That way the last leg of your buuttonhole will line up perfectly with the bartack. I always had trouble over or undershooting the last leg and messed up the final bartack until I heard this tip.

On my machine, that means I do buttonholes in the following order:
1. Top bartack

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

felicitysgramma said... (7/2/09 9:19 PM) Reply
Thanks! I used your tip on a garment and for the first time didn't have shoddy machined buttonholes. Much appreciated!
kathleen1304 said... (6/23/09 10:46 PM) Reply
I'm slapping my forehead. I curse every time I make a button because when I'm working blind, I often mess up. Your solution makes lots of sense. I'm off to my machine to try it out. Thanks!
annenet said... (6/23/09 1:33 PM) Reply
Great idea! Thanks!
regine said... (6/22/09 1:14 PM) Reply
Now why didn't I think of that? Thank you very much, great tip.
Mufffet said... (6/21/09 8:34 PM) Reply
OH MY GOODNESS! I think this is a terrific idea...some machines wouldn't let you do this - even mechanicals...they have a set routine in order, but my Viking Madison would! Pfaff 1222E no, Viking Madison yes. I am pretty sure most machines where you chose the step would do this. GREAT TIP! Wish I had thought of this...

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.