Tips & Techniques > Cutting slinky fabrics

Member since: 5/14/09
Reviews: 18 (tips: 2)
Posted on: 1/4/10 9:10 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 6 people   Very Helpful by 20 people
I am probably a bit slow and others may have already worked this one out but at the moment I am making a dress with silk chameuse including a silk chameuse lining - yes I know extravagant!

Anyways following others advice I have cut it all out on a single layer of fabric using a rotary cutter. To do so I have had to trace out some of the pattern pieces and did so on swedish tracing paper. Guess what - no movement by the swedish tracing paper virtually at all, whereas the tissue still bubbled up and moved a bit when cutting despite having weighted them down. Can highly recommend this method for slinky fabrics.

<< Previous    Next >>

Vesta Patterns

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

Longarm said... (1/29/10 5:49 PM) Reply
I've never heard of Swedish tracing paper. Where do you get it, and what is special about it?
Vonnevo said... (1/26/10 11:07 PM) Reply
Thanks for this great tip :)
ryansmumAria said... (1/9/10 7:47 PM) Reply
Thanks for the tip! I'm sure many of us will find this very helpful. This is done in the garment industry but with paper. We use it with chiffon type fabrics and slippery silks. You can use butcher paper or tissue paper which work fine in my experience. I have also heavily starched silk to make it manageable. The serrated scissors by Kai are great too and are a must have.
Maripat said... (1/5/10 10:03 PM) Reply
Thanks for the tip. I found serrated scissors to be a great help, too.

Checkbook Cover Paper Pattern

Checkbook Cover Paper Pattern

Paradiso Designs Okashi Courier Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Okashi Courier Bag Pattern

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.