Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias
Misses Sizes (Bust 30" - 44.5")] [Women's sizes (Bust 43" - 55")]">Fit the Tee to a T Online Sewing Class

Tips & Techniques > Blue painters tape

Posted by: SewRaeMe

About SewRaeMe
Member since: 3/20/08
Reviews: 3 (tips: 2)
Posted on: 1/7/10 9:53 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 7 people   Very Helpful by 17 people
Web site/URL: photo
I recently read about blue painters tape in an issue of Threads magazine.

I can't remember even what the article said but I bought some and used it to tape my fabric to my rotary mat cutting board. This worked great at holding my fabric stable so it doesn't slip around.
As I cut past or over the tape, I would peel it off and place it over the actual cut out shape. It also works great for marking a straight line on your fabric.

The tape will not leave any sticky residue on "almost" all fabrics although I would test it on the edge first. I was using it on heavy fleece and not only did it hold it didn't tear up the fleece when I took it off.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

6 Comments
Quilsha said... (2/2/10 9:04 AM) Reply
What is this tape, can you get it in England?
abbe said... (1/8/10 1:15 PM) Reply
From experience, I know it must come off woodwork fairly soon after painting is completed. Otherwise, it's a pain to remove. Probably not a problem w/ fabric, but for cutting areas/measures, remove asap.
FL Girl said... (1/8/10 12:25 PM) Reply
Great tip! I've been using painters tape as a seam guide. It's easy to move and remove and doesn't leave any sticky residue on my machine.
fourkid said... (1/8/10 7:58 AM) Reply
Great tip, thanks.
Mimicj said... (1/7/10 6:28 PM) Reply
Thanks for this tip. I use the blue painters tape when I am tracing a pattern using STP but never thought about holding the fashion fabric in place to use the rotary cutter.
Elaine Dougan said... (1/7/10 10:33 AM) Reply
Thank you for the tip.

Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.