Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review

Advanced Search
returns & refunds
testimonials
Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
2010 Victoria Sewing and Crafts Show (scrapbbooking too) (Sewing Expo Review)
British Columbia, CANADA
expos reviewed: 3
Posted on: 3/14/10 1:22 PM
Rating: star
Web site/URL: photo
This was the 18th annual show. I have attended about 3/4 of the previous shows.

The show format has a trade show and ongoing fashion shows running all day Friday and Sat. As well there are a variety of seminars ranging from an hour to all day that run Thursday, Friday and Sat.

Admission to the show is $10.00 for a two day pass. Seminars range in price from $10.00 to $60.00, some have kits fees as well.

The show price and seminar rate has not changed very much over the last few years.

The one thing that did change was the ownership of the show. And it did show.

The show brochure usually arrives in my mailbox by the end of December. This year I did not get it until late January.

The show website was not updated until January either.

Minor things?

I preregistered for 4 workshops including a sewing class on the Thursday and another on Sat.

Note in every past year that I have taken a hands on sewing class on the Friday or Sat Sewing machines have been supplied.

When I got my registration paperwork (I called twice to ask if I got my classes and never got a call back) handwritten on one of the sheets it said I would need my sewing machine for all my hands on classes.

Now can you imagine hauling your machine around all day if you have a morning or afternoon hands on class?

What if you had to travel by bus? What if like me you were from out of town and staying in a hotel, would you have your machine with you?

My Thursday instructor who was also teaching the Sat class found out on Thursday afternoon that machines were not supplied this year. So the show organizers had not bothered to mention to the instructors that they would not even have a machine to sew on.

I was nearby when he talked with the show organizers and he was able to arrange for a sewing machine locked storage. He also insisted Friday after many people showed up at his classes sans sewing machines that the show people call everyone in his classes to let them know they needed their machine.

That whole situation left me feeling off about the show. I think that the organizers when they realized they would not have machines for the hands on classes should have made a much better effort to inform people. A bright red note in the registration package, would have caught peoples attention. A follow up phone call a week before the show, to ensure out of town people knew before leaving home etc.

Vendors, there appeared to be 8-10 vendors who have been at the show in the past who were not there this year. I always look forward to buying lace from the man from Holland, but he was not at the show. Jan Bones was missing, Trudy Jansen patterns, Kathleen Cheetham and more just were not there this year.

I have purchased from all the above every year.

I did not cross the street to the scrap booking show, I am not interested in that, so I do not know what the exhibits were like or how well attended they may have been.

The last thing that was a turn off was the new show owners talking in common areas about money while the show was still on. Not classy folks.

Now I did meet with Althene and Janeite for dinner. That was a highlight of the show for me.

I also carried my PR bag and wore my pin on my purse, but did not have anyone approach me to say they knew about the site.

I will most likely attend next year.
Sewn Square One
Vintage Sewing Patterns

<< Previous Next >>

Add Sewing Expo Review    Read All Sewing Expo Reviews

Patti B said...
Oh, I'm sorry to hear about the changes. I've never been to the show but thought it might be fun to combine with another trip. Thanks for the honest review.
3/15/10 10:34 AM
nancy2001 said...
What a shame things were so disorganized.
3/15/10 4:20 PM
Athene said...
Michelle I too was disappointed that we had to bring our sewing machines to the classes. Maybe next year they will change that and have sewing machines available again. It was great having dinner with you and Janeite, and I am very happy that you told me about the lovely mens shirt fabric at European Textiles.
3/16/10 8:25 PM
Elaine Dougan said...
I, too, thought the show was not up to my expectations, but was unaware of much of what you have mentioned. I hope it improves next year.
3/24/10 11:07 AM
tweedcurtain said...
Michelle, thanks for the review. I have gone most of the past years, but did not go this year. Hopefully it was just teething pains for the new owners and they will get their act together before next year. I had noticed a lot of vendors were MIA in the listing for this year's event; wonder if the new owners raised the prices on the trade show booths? Hope you enjoyed your blouse class with Ron!
4/4/10 0:00 AM

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us