Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review

Advanced Search
returns & refunds
testimonials
Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
Zip It Up - Ron Collins (Sewing Class Review)
British Columbia, CANADA
Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner
classes reviewed: 1
Posted on: 3/14/10 11:41 PM
Rating: starstarstar
This is a description of the 3 1/2 hour class taken at the Victoria Sewing and Crafts Show Saturday March 13, 2010.
Ron Collins of Saskatchewan Canada was the instructor.

"Having a hard time with your zippers? Centered zipper, fly front zipper, lapped zipper and invisible zipper: these four zipper techniques are a must for my clothes contruction. Try out this centered zipper technique, and your zipper will never shift again when inserting it. See how to design fly front zippers with a deep placket to avoid the zipper or zipper pull from showing and lapped ziippers are always great for most dresses, pants, and skirts. An invisible zipper is not as hard to sew as you might think, and not only used in bridal wear - I even have a few shirts with them in."

This 3 1/2 hour class was hands on teaching the four noted zipper techniques: centered zipper, lapped zipper, fly front zipper (ie. Sandra Betzina technique that many on PR use) and invisible zipper.

The class size was somewhere between 16 and 20 people. I did not do a count, but know that it was sold out. His hands on classes have always sold out at the Victoria Sewing Show for the past few years that I have been attending.

The cost of the class was $30.00 and an additional $8.00 for a kit fee (Ron provided the fabric samples, and 4 zippers, and wonder tape, etc), as well as a 4 page print out of instructions to take home. Everyone had to provide their own sewing machine.

I am always a bit leary of zippers and found that this class to be a confidence booster. I walked away from the class with my four samples and instruction sheet, and felt ready to now tackle zippers.

Ron is an excellent teacher and was able to provide everyone in the class with individualized attention to ensure they were on the right track.

There is a companion DVD ""Power Sewing Skill Series #11 Zip It Up" by Sandra Betzina and Ron Collins. I did purchase this DVD the previous year and really like it as it covers these 4 techniques as well as a variety of other items.

I walked away from this class really feeling confident and no longer fearing these 4 zipper techniques.
So Vintage Patterns
Unique Sewing Patterns

<< Previous Next >>

Add Sewing Class Review    Read All Sewing Class Reviews

abcameo said...
Thanks for this review. I purchased a $50 (shipping alone was $12) zipper dvd from Australia only to find out thing won't play in my U.S. format dvd/TV. I then spent $40 to have the format converted--and it's still not working 100%. I finally gave up on it and purchased "Zip It Up" yesterday from the Power Sewing website. Trying to insert zippers correctly has literally cost me a small fortune in icky-looking projects, wasted fabric & effort trying to figure it out from books and a costly, non-functional dvd. I'm looking forward to receiving this video. I'll consider even one perfect zipper insertion compensation enough to make the investment worthwhile.
3/15/10 10:00 AM
3/15/10 10:01 AM
3/15/10 10:02 AM
Athene said...
abcameo, I think you will like the Zip It Up DVD - the techniques are displayed and explained quite well.
3/17/10 2:11 AM

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us