Tips & Techniques > Paint brush for cleaning serger/bobbin race

Member since: 12/30/06
Reviews: 14 (tips: 8)
Posted on: 7/6/10 7:54 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people   Very Helpful by 6 people
I have always been less than pleased with the wimpy plastic brush that comes with sewing machine or serger. One day I was dealing with lint in the serger and happened to come upon a sable paint brush left over from a craft project. The long handle made it perfect for reaching into the recesses of the serger and the lint immediately attached to the soft sable bristles. It is now my go to tool in between vacuuming.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

Dinkalley said... (12/28/10 6:17 PM) Reply
I use eye shadow brushes
sewtime said... (7/9/10 10:43 AM) Reply
Great tip, thanks!!
Lookingpast said... (7/7/10 3:42 PM) Reply
I've used small paint brushes in the past too but have had a problem with the bristles coming out. (Maybe the brushes I used were too cheap!) The brushes that come with new machines are too wimpy to really do a good job, I agree, but there still are some good sm brushes available.
svetlana said... (7/7/10 8:18 AM) Reply
Several years ago I got a set of attachments for my vacuum cleaner to use on the computer and sewing machines. I have a little Red Dirt Devil corded hand vacuum from a garage sale and they fit on it perfectly. That way I don't have to drag out my big upright. The set has some brushes and crevice tools. I don't remember where I got it but it was less than $15.
tatica said... (7/7/10 7:41 AM) Reply
need more information bout what you mean by "vacuuming".
granny geek said... (7/7/10 0:33 AM) Reply
I discovered this trick a long time ago. Isn't it a kick that we spend thousands of dollars on our machines and are given funky little plastic brushes to keep them
SandiMacD said... (7/7/10 0:12 AM) Reply
Thanks for reminding me of this. I am headed our storage right now so I don't forget to put it in my drawer!

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.