Tips & Techniques > Kitty No No

About PKPudlin star
Member since: 7/19/05
Reviews: 32 (tips: 2)
Posted on: 9/25/10 8:46 PM
I have always shared my life with my 4-legged children, many of them of the feline persuasion. When my girls were babies, like many mothers I worried about kitty wanting to get in the crib, but I wanted a non-toxic solution that would work for everyone. Somewhere I read that spreading empty coat hangers on the unused part of the crib would keep the cat out. This worked very well. Mom was happy, baby was happy, kitty was happy.

My sewing space is a part of my office space in our tiny apartment, and many times I have projects-in-process spread out on the cutting table. Of course, kitty is very interested in supervising and 'helping' me along with these projects, and I can't always put things away when I reach a stopping point. So I do with my sewing projects what I did with my babies; I spread empty coat hangers over the fabric, scissors, pattern pieces etc. This way my project remains undisturbed until I can return to complete it.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

maryfrana said... (10/2/10 10:13 AM) Reply
I'm going to do this today! I have a lot of "help" from my older kitty, who loves tissue and fabric together. He seems to have instructed the new kitty on the pleasures of sewing too. Just yesterday I found a pattern piece with parts missing!
skooze48 said... (9/29/10 4:39 AM) Reply
Couldn't time this tip better! I love my newest addition, who is by far the most inquisitive or loves to help me sew--I'm guessing the latter! Tonight when I put up my board, she came lurking & as soon as the fabric went down--she jumped off like their was a huge doberman waiting for her. I can't wait to see the present she brings me tomorrow for that trick:))) Skooze
PKPudlin said... (9/26/10 4:54 PM) Reply
I have had success with any hanger, but I imagine if you have a kitty who is rather recalcitrant, the wire ones will be more noxious than the plastic. That's just my 2-cents' worth, though. Good Luck!
ladybegood said... (9/26/10 1:43 PM) Reply
Thank you so much! Do any kind of coat hangers work?
vasallese said... (9/26/10 10:33 AM) Reply
Thank you, cause my cat loves to be right there at the sewing machine, with his paw at the needle. ANd when I am using my rotary cutter. Has cut in on my sewing.
ohsewnutty said... (9/26/10 0:30 AM) Reply
Thanks so much! I have those sweet four legged babies too. Tried your suggestion tonight and "Trouble" jumped out of the way so fast that he scared to other ones too :) Just had to stop and say thanks because it was soooo funny and it worked.
paulakiss said... (9/26/10 0:24 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for the tip! My hubby and I will be trying for a baby soon and I've been concerned about our frisky kitties getting playful with new baby! I will definitely try this! Thanks again sweetie!

Jamie Christina Mission Maxi Paper Pattern

Jamie Christina Mission Maxi Paper Pattern

Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.