Tips & Techniques > pinning/cutting difficult fabric

Member since: 7/29/05
tips added: 96
Posted on: 11/19/10 10:58 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people   Very Helpful by 12 people
Using long dritz pins that are about 2 inches and weaving them in and out the pattern piece and fabric edge works when trying to cut out difficult fabric, like knits, that likes to dance instead of just sit there.

Use a lot of pins so that almost all the edges are pinned down.

Yes, it's alot of work but gosh it's so much easier to cut.
Why has this taken me decades to figure out! I work knits almost exclusively and still am learning how to manage it.

Sewing knits is not for the weak!

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

7 Comments
kws said... (11/22/10 7:50 AM) Reply
Thanks, I like almost all of your hints.
ohsewnutty said... (11/20/10 10:10 PM) Reply
Wow did I need this hint. I have been working on lots of knits for my grandkids and I have been frustrated to the point of dreading the cutting out. Thanks
ryansmumAria said... (11/20/10 8:19 PM) Reply
vasallese, I prefer a rotary cutter but sometimes I don't have a sharp blade and I resort to the serrated scissors like Maripatt and find them to be indispensable. I highly recommend the large Kai serrated scissors and are worth every penny. Thank you Joanie for your generous comment! I now refuse to work with impossible fabrics like super drapey knits. I find they don't even sew up nicely after I have struggled so much. If you absolutely must work with them, I would suggest saturating them in starch and then pressing them so they aren't so drapey. I would also use tissue paper under the fabric, then pin through it when cutting. I would use tissue paper on the seams so you don't get the bunching or I would interface all the seams with fusible interfacing strips about a wide 1/2 inch. It is alot of work so I try to stick to stable knits so I don't lose my mind or hurt someone...
vasallese said... (11/20/10 4:00 PM) Reply
This is part of the reason I do not sew on difficult fabrics. I use a rotary cutter when I cut out patterns. What has been your experience with that?
JoaniesJosh said... (11/20/10 9:25 AM) Reply
Your tips are the best. Any tips about the best way to sew kits, especially drapey knits?
JoaniesJosh said... (11/20/10 9:25 AM) Reply
Maripat said... (11/20/10 8:20 AM) Reply
Thanks, Aria. I also use serrated scissors to work on difficult fabric.

Sewn Square One Paper Bag Pant Pattern

Sewn Square One Paper Bag Pant Pattern

Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.