Tips & Techniques > cutting out lining and fabric together

Member since: 10/16/05
Reviews: 12 (tips: 1)
Posted on: 1/4/11 1:45 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people   Very Helpful by 17 people
I can't be the first person to think of this but here goes. Instead of layering the 2 fabrics on top of each other I sandwiched the lining inside the folded fashion fabric. I made sure my lining was pressed with no wrinkles and made sure the folds were up against each other, then I proceeded to pin and cut out. It worked like a charm and marking was equally efficient, easy and fast.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

13 Comments
Laurie Lou said... (1/17/11 10:41 AM) Reply
Regine good point, I made a skirt and pants. One would have to consider this but at least the sleeves and some jackets...depending on the design. Thanks for pointing this out though. Something to consider.
regine said... (1/15/11 4:26 PM) Reply
There will be a problem when making a jacket, the lining of the back needs a fold so it is not the same as the jacket back. Similarly the front of a jacket lining is very different.
DesignsByDenise said... (1/15/11 1:56 PM) Reply

DesignsByDenise said... (1/15/11 1:55 PM) Reply
Great idea! Since the lining needs to be a bit smaller than the outside anyway, the folded pieces will be spot-on. And quite a time-saver if you're not doing a placement that eats up fabric like matching plaids or patterns at the seams.
PSmith26 said... (1/14/11 12:38 PM) Reply
Thanks for the tip. I have a few jackets that have lining I will try this next time. Thanks again
wildberrymom said... (1/11/11 3:09 AM) Reply
Great idea--looking forward to trying it.
Laurie Lou said... (1/10/11 10:04 AM) Reply
Amingo...Launder the lining first. :)
amingo said... (1/10/11 3:33 AM) Reply
how was allowance made for shrinkage of lining/
JENN10 said... (1/7/11 1:39 PM) Reply
This is a wonderful suggestion. I hate cutting out linings separately.. I will be using this tip from here on!!!!! Thank you!!!!
brittney101 said... (1/6/11 2:53 PM) Reply
wow, this is going to help out alot,can't wait to try it on my next project
quathy said... (1/5/11 11:34 AM) Reply
I hadn't thought doing of this - thanks for the tip!
SandiMacD said... (1/5/11 9:20 AM) Reply
I haven't considered that. What a great idea. Sometimes my shears don't cut through my fusible that I need on pockets, bodice, etc. I'm going to try this and see if the fabric sandwich let's the scissors cut through better. Thanks!
woole bully said... (1/5/11 7:41 AM) Reply
i LOVE this idea. cannot wait to try it. thanks.

Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

Fit For Art Eureka! Pants that Fit Pattern

Fit For Art Eureka! Pants that Fit Pattern

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.