Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review

Advanced Search
returns & refunds
testimonials
Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
Sewing and Quilting Expo Mpls (Sewing Expo Review)
Minnesota, UNITED STATES
Member since: 4/26/07
expos reviewed: 1
Posted on: 1/22/11 8:39 AM
Rating: starstar
I had not gone to the sewing expo for years and decided to treat myself, and signed up for all three days and then 9 hours worth of classes.

There was a rabbit show going on with thousands of rabbits on the first floor in another area and it caused a lot of runny noses and sneezing. The smell was very strong.

It was downtown at the Mpls Convention Center, and so parking across the street was $9 a day. It was snowing pretty hard at least the first day. I want to add, next year it is being moved to Brooklyn Park? somewhere north suburbs.

I enjoyed myself very much but would have picked my classes differently had I known exactly what would be covered. The quilting for beginners, I think using 3 credit hours and about $20 for materials, was indeed very basic. I wanted to learn how to turn a quilt. This was just on sandwiching the layers.

I signed up for Cynthia Guffey's class on finishing jackets. I can't remember if it was for 3 credit hours or 2, plus materials fees. She does absolutely gorgeous work. I was much more interested in seeing the garments she makes. I don't know if I was brain dead at this point or what, but I had the hardest time following the sequence of finishing the jacket front corners where the lining is attached. I was in the back row and couldn't see well. I did come up and stand behind her, with others, at times. The entire time was spent on finishing this corner and learning to do a hem stitch by hand that doesn't show. I would have liked to have had a little booklet with some good photos for the jacket corner. I didn't finish it.

Peggy Sager used a camera at the machine that projected onto an overhead so you could see what she was doing easily. Because of very low attendence at the event she had a big deal on her DVD's. I think I paid $150 for 8 if I remember correctly?

I went to one of the Linda MacPhee classes and had seen her part of the fashion show. The class didn't add much! She is a sales person, no doubt about it. I remembered hearing the same lines about 10 years ago at the expo ... how she would run out of the patterns because we were all so hungry for her designs.. something like that. She could do a better job with her pattern directions! I was very frustrated with the salsa skirt pattern.

Since I had loads of time, I got to take leisurely strolls at all the booths. Sue's sparklers was lots of fun! I spent about $40 in iron on designs for Christmas presents. Many designs are very sophisticated.

One booth had fabric crayons. I haven't tried them yet but I am anxious to do so.

There was a Chinese woman ( I think from China) who has a business of embroidery designs. Wow. Lots of gorgeous designs. Also she had a woman selling silk scarves, jewelry and other items in a separate area. I got a very cute fabric fish purse for my granddaughter for $15 with lots of separate fabric "scales".

I took Kathy Ruddy's class especially on pants tips. I took notes hoping to remember as much as possible. She gave a ton of info, had lots of garments to pass around and is a kick as she tries on many pairs over her black pantyhose. You get a lot of bang for your buck in her class.

Next year I will probably attend one or two days only and will attend fewer classes and choose differently.

I did enjoy shopping at Vogue Fabrics. Lots and lots of fabric is precut and tied which saves a lot of time checking out. Very good pricesl

Victoria Jones Collection
Made In Australia

<< Previous Next >>

Add Sewing Expo Review    Read All Sewing Expo Reviews

HolleyM said...
I guess I can't edit this. I wasn't sure of the web site url. It's sewingexpo.com and next year it's at the Northland Inn.
1/22/11 8:46 AM

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us