Tips & Techniques > Drawing a center line on a pattern dart

Member since: 7/16/07
Reviews: 26 (tips: 10)
Posted on: 7/9/11 12:19 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people   Very Helpful by 17 people
Oh wow, a classic "D'oh!!" moment -- why didn't I think of this earlier? I always fidgit trying to baste darts down so that the two sides of the dart line up neatly.

This morning it finally hit me: In the late 1960's/early 1970's (when I learned to sew), pattern companies used to print a center line inside each dart. All you had to do was fold and press along the center line; basting neatly so that the sides of the dart lined up became a piece of cake.

I don't know why they stopped doing this (how much time and ink did it save them, really?), but from now on I am going to draw a line in the center of all the darts on my pattern pieces. It should be as easy as holding the tissue up to a window, lining the two sides up, and creasing the tissue -- then drawing a line on the crease and transferring this line to the pattern markings. D'oh indeed! ;)

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

7 Comments
FreyaStark said... (4/20/12 1:27 AM) Reply
An excellent tip - simple but NOT so obvious that I thought of myself!
Muffin58 said... (8/24/11 2:42 AM) Reply
Good idea. I just had to fuss with darts without centre lines yesterday! How annoying! I think they've had to take centre lines out with the advent of multi-sized patterns, but thank God for multi-sized patterns!!
SewWil said... (8/12/11 11:46 AM) Reply
I completely forgot about this. Thanks for the reminder. Makes so much sense.
Susan M said... (7/16/11 7:56 PM) Reply
You can also draw a line across the very base of the dart, from base point to base point. Find the middle of the new line (a C-Thru ruler works well here.) Then draw a line from the middle of that line to the dart tip. This was the method taught in a pattern drafting class I took. You won't need a light source . If you are doing curved darts it might be different.
MNBarb said... (7/12/11 4:26 PM) Reply
Yeah, I had to rediscover this also. It just makes so much more sense. A good reminder for everyone.
RLL said... (7/10/11 8:35 AM) Reply
You are right that this is much easier and I have been doing it forever. I also do it with tucks and pleats...when it says to bring the dotted line to the solid line....I draw a line in the middle and fold on the line I drew. Much easier!
marec said... (7/9/11 9:32 PM) Reply
genius tip, thanks!

SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.