Tips & Techniques > Cover Cushion Foam With Old Percale Sheets

Reviews: 12 (tips: 7)
Skill level:Beginner
Posted on: 10/8/11 5:40 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people   Very Helpful by 6 people
After struggling to remove the tight fitting foam pieces from my Ikea Poang chair and ottoman cushions for washing and to make a pattern, I thought I'd pass along my tip for getting foam cushions back into tight zippered compartments: I cover the foam with old, worn-out percale sheets. I just serge them on. I don't get fancy. The slippery sheet makes it easier to slide the foam piece into a tight cushion cover and the serged seam provides something to grab hold of to pull them out of a tight fitting cushion cover without adding bulk. I suspect old satin sheets would also work, but, uh, I've never owned any satin sheets.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

5 Comments
ampm5 said... (6/18/12 10:02 PM) Reply
I've done this and it works great. Bought the sheets at a goodwill store for under $3.
CSM--Carla said... (10/9/11 1:16 PM) Reply
GREAT IDEA. THANKS.
Pamela R said... (10/9/11 10:45 AM) Reply
That is a great idea, I just cover the foam with a drycleaner bag, then I pullt out the bag before I zip up the cover.
kws said... (10/9/11 9:53 AM) Reply
Good Idea. In an emergency, I've used plastic dry cleaner bags to get the foam in, and then pulled it out.
fourkid said... (10/9/11 8:23 AM) Reply
Great idea, thanks.

Sew Liberated Ashland Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Ashland Dress Pattern

Favorite Things Happy Feet Pattern

Favorite Things Happy Feet Pattern

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.